GIS Specialist II or III
Tri-County Regional Planning Commission
GIS Specialist II or III
Tri-County Regional Planning Commission (Tri-County or TCRPC) serves Peoria, Tazewell, and Woodford counties in central Illinois. The primary function of Tri-County is to study the needs and conditions of our region and to develop strategies that enhance the region’s communities.
Additionally, TCRPC serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), which supports regional short- and long-term transportation planning needs. Tri-County offers a friendly work atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision-making and opportunities to work individually and in team settings on regional asset management, environmental, land use, and transportation projects.
Tri-County seeks a full-time GIS Specialist II or III to aid with the administration of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) at TCRPC, provide GIS services to partnering organizations and communities with various mapping-related projects and requests, and assist with the mapping needs of staff planning projects. Primary job responsibilities involve assisting/leading the technical GIS server environment, including administration of TCRPC’s GIS applications (ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Server), capabilities, and workflows.
- Provide GIS support and data analysis to support TCRPC’s work program.
- Provide Activity-Based Travel Demand Modeling assistance to support TCRPC’s work program and partners’ various transportation planning needs.
- Create maps and graphics, perform database design and creation, and perform data input tasks including scanning and digitizing.
- Design, implement, and document spatial and data-driving applications.
- Develop mobile geospatial applications.
- Lead and assist various communities’ asset management projects including pavement management, transportation assets, and other utilities, such as water distribution, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer.
- Work with partners and communities to successfully manage various work tasks, such as performing software and data installations and training end-users.
- Have a familiarity with data collection procedures utilizing Trimble GPS units and ArcGIS Online.
- Assist planning staff with developing and preparing maps for various planning projects.
- Provide QA/QC vendor review of complex GIS data sets.
- Attend Commission, Technical, and Human Service Transportation Plan (HSTP) meetings as needed to provide technical support and present project information.
- Stay current with GIS industry innovations and technology, software, and hardware.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Urban Planning, or a related field. At least one year of professional experience in the GIS field or internship is required. The level in which this position is filled will be based upon an individual’s qualifications. Candidates must be detail-oriented and organized, skilled in verbal and written communication, and able to work in a team setting and on multiple projects. Prior local government experience, travel demand modeling with TransCAD, and project management skills, including budgeting, are preferred. Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and other graphic applications is helpful.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is based on experience and capabilities, with a starting range of $48,000 - $58,000 for a 35-hour work week (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with a one-hour lunch). Excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, with optional health savings account; life insurance; short-term disability insurance; 457b deferred compensation retirement; and paid time off, including holiday, vacation, personal, and sick leave.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a letter of interest summarizing relevant experience and professional goals, resume, and the names and contact information for three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to TCRPC, 456 Fulton Street, Suite 401, Peoria, Illinois 61602.
TCRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Candidates must be able to work legally in the United States.