Senior Associate - Independence - Remote
We are the leading provider of professional services to the middle market globally, our purpose is to instill confidence in a world of change, empowering our clients and people to realize their full potential. Our exceptional people are the key to our unrivaled, inclusive culture and talent experience and our ability to be compelling to our clients. You’ll find an environment that inspires and empowers you to thrive both personally and professionally. There’s no one like you and that’s why there’s nowhere like RSM.
The Office of Risk Management (ORM) supports the implementation of programs, policies, and practices to manage RSM US risk. The technical independence senior associate assists with managing risk to the Firm regarding independence requirements of regulatory bodies including the Securities Exchange Commission, Public Accounting Oversight Board and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. The position is a member of the National Office of Independence team, assisting engagement teams with compliance with independence policies, including assistance with policy development, performing the initial evaluation of engagement specific independence consultations, and assisting the personal independence team with consultations. Relocation is not required.
- At the direction and under the supervision of Independence team management performing the initial “triage” of incoming requests for guidance in independence matters from engagement personnel, including the assessment of the applicable independence rule set(s) and level of the matter’s complexity
- Develop and grow personal knowledge and skills related to independence rules.
- Assist supervisor with development and presentation of independence related training, tools and guidance
- Other National Office of Risk Management related projects, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (required) in Accounting or related degree (preferred)
- Eligible to obtain CPA license (preferred)
- Learning to read and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures – required
- Awareness of SEC, PCAOB and AICPA Independence rules and ability to recognize the potential impact of changes to firm policies, processes and personnel (preferred)
- Learning to communicate information clearly and concisely, in writing to diverse audiences across the firm and to outside professional contacts (required)
- Developing conflict resolution skills (required)
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products including familiarity with SharePoint as a document repository (required)
- Learning to identify and recommend process improvement and efficiency (required)
- Learning to develop and maintain applicable professional and internal contacts, resources and networks (preferred)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion (required)
- 2-3+ years’ experience in public accounting (required)
- Exposure to independence considerations in professional practice or in a National Office role (preferred).
- Basic knowledge of the impact of regulatory controls on business conditions (required)
- Acts to make things better by making deliberate attempts to add value. Seeks information from supervisor for guidance on consultative approach (required)
- Organizational and prioritization skills (required)
- Able to adapt quickly to changes in regulatory environment, industry and the firm (required)
- Ability to respond positively to changing circumstances, identification of potential change to drive business improvement (required)
- Ability to work collaboratively with the independence team and engagement teams (required)
- Proactive in requesting and providing feedback (required)
- Learning to escalate issues (preferred)
At RSM, we offer a competitive benefits and compensation package for all our people. We support and inspire you to prioritize your wellbeing by delivering personalized, holistic programming for your physical, emotional, financial and community wellbeing. RSM has a generous time off policy with at least 14 paid holidays, wellbeing days and associate and above access to self-managed time off. We offer flexibility in your schedule, empowering you to balance life’s demands, while also maintaining your ability to serve clients. Learn more about our total rewards at https://rsmus.com/careers/working-at-rsm/benefits.
RSM is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are proud to provide our employees with tools to assist them in being successful in achieving both personal and professional goals. We welcome and support all our employees to thrive in an environment free of discrimination and harassment. As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer all applicants will receive consideration for employment as RSM does not tolerate discrimination and/or harassment based on race; color; creed; sincerely held religious beliefs, practices or observances; sex (including pregnancy or disabilities related to nursing); gender (including gender identity and/or gender expression); sexual orientation; HIV Status; national origin; ancestry; familial or marital status; age; physical or mental disability; citizenship; political affiliation; medical condition (including family and medical leave); domestic violence victim status; past, current or prospective service in the US uniformed service; pre-disposing genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
RSM does not intend to hire entry level candidates who will require sponsorship now OR in the future (i.e. F-1 visa holders). However, those candidates who may be recent U.S. college / university graduates possessing 1-2 years of progressive and relevant work experience, excluding internships, in the U.S. or his/her home country would be eligible for hire as an experienced candidate and thus eligible for sponsorship.Compensation Range: $82,400 - $163,900