At NRG, we’re bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
This position requires a field service technician capable of working independently or in teams on diesel or gaseous-fueled power generation equipment. Requirements include comprehensive technical and electrical-mechanical skills. Works with other NRG Team members to maintain overall equipment reliability with the goal of zero non-start penalties.
- Troubleshoot controls, switchgear, and accessories such as batteries, battery chargers, heaters, motor, and pumps.
- Perform mechanical troubleshooting and repairs for fuel delivery, ignition, lube oil, cooling, exhaust systems, and engine and component repairs as assigned.
- Perform electrical troubleshooting to electrical contactors, motors, relays, contacts, generator components, and controls as assigned.
- Respond to monitoring alarms and troubleshoot equipment during emergency power outages and scheduled equipment exercise periods. Must be willing and able to respond to these equipment failures and other high-priority tasks outside of regular business hours to minimize customer outages.
- Perform fuel tank maintenance, fuel testing, monthly tank, and SPCC inspections, including follow-up and compliance reporting as required.
- Perform any and all maintenance and housekeeping items necessary to maintain proper function of assets
- Provide regular updates, including current operational and maintenance activities and resolved issues.
- Maintain proper records and documentation on equipment status, work history, and recommended future maintenance.
- Working knowledge of switchgear PLCs, relays, and digital/analog inputs-outputs.
- Be able to read and understand protection relay event logs (Mostly SEL)
- Be able to read and download relay settings (settings to be provided by others)
- Knowledge of Motor Operated Breakers used in closed transition switchgear
- Knowledge of paralleling switchgear
- Read and decipher ladder logic
- Strong AC/DC power skills and the ability to read and interpret schematic drawings.
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations. Shall also perform NRG site safety audits as assigned.
- Establishe and maintain positive relationships with external customers, vendors, and other NRG Employees.
- Supervise and manage third party contractors performing work on assigned assets
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Perform load testing of company equipment with either load bank or customer load as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be available to attend evening and weekend power outages, testing, and tie-in jobs and meetings.
- Must be willing to accept overnight or regular travel to participate in periodic training sessions or other work-related assignments.
- Expected to work extra hours when necessary or when workload requires.
- Local to Greater City of Houston
- Travel to out of state at least once a month for a week at a time
- Nature of position requires building and maintaining an extensive internal and external network of contacts.
- Must maintain a current valid driver’s license.
- The employee must work safely, follow the guidelines of company Basic Safety Rules, and complete annual safety training.
- While on site visits, the employee must wear all necessary Personal Protective Equipment, including a hard hat, hard-toed boots, hearing protection (when required), gloves, and safety glasses.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Three years of work experience in power generation service, industrial mechanical-electrical troubleshooting/repairs, or marine engineering.
- Self-motivated individual who can work independently to develop their own work scopes and action plans necessary to ensure reliability of the assets
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and documentation skills
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision or job-tasking and comfortable taking initiative
- Able to learn quickly
- Must know the principles of electrical power distribution and utility load management applications.
- Must be able to deal effectively with customers and contractors. Must maintain effective working relationships with diverse workgroups.
- Subject to D.O.T. drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Must value and practice safety, common sense, and good judgment.
Please Note: Salary offered will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s education and/or experience and consistent with the job location’s market pay rate.
NRG Energy will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
NRG Energy will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor that does not have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a specific search.
DEML employs individuals in the Provinces of Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. We regret that we will be unable to hire you for this role if your regular remote work location is not within one of these listed provinces. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Talent.