As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
This is an opportunity to come into a rapidly growing company to help facilitate, execute on, maintain, and further develop the company’s health and safety program. We are looking for a dynamic individual who will be fundamental in enhancing and maintaining a safe and productive work environment. This position will serve as a primary resource for the company and will work with multiple organizations to achieve safety objectives, targets, strategies, and measures that mitigate risk. The Safety Manager is expected to work both cross-functionally and organizationally to build policies and programs that will satisfy safety initiatives. This role will assist with building the company’s safety program along the lines of worker’s compensation, data management and analytics, incident management, and program and policy development.
This position would be perfect for individuals that have worked in safety and that have a passion for creating a safe environment for their peers and customers. Veteran candidates that fit this position may have worked in the following MOC/NEC/AFSC: 42A, 1C012, 1C032, 1N711, 003759.
- Assist the leadership team in building programs, processes, and culture where team members have the skills, tools, and knowledge to complete their tasks to protect themselves, their co-workers, and the environment.
- Assist in developing and implementing training programs and monitoring their performance to ensure that all required training is performed effectively.
- Assist site leadership during incident investigations, corrective action plans, and implementation of root cause corrective action plans.
- Observe and coach and partner with department managers and employees in hazard recognition identifying possible safety concerns and areas of improvement while promoting a culture that believes in zero injuries and zero non-compliance incidents.
- Conduct job site safety inspections and report findings.
- Provide technical support and direction for companywide environmental, health, and safety compliance practices.
- Provide audit and action plan follow-up/assistance.
- Observe and coach department managers and employees in hazard recognition identifying possible safety concerns and areas of improvement while promoting a culture that believes in zero injuries and zero non-compliance incidents.
- Analyze and interpret safety data to locate areas of focus and potential accidents/injuries through a predictive solution process.
- Stay abreast of changes in OSHA and other regulatory safety standards to ensure the company stays compliant.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or working toward bachelor’s degree in safety, Occupational Health, and Safety, Environmental, Health, and Safety, and 3 years of related experience in safety and knowledge of General Industry Standards
- High School diploma and 5 years of related experience in safety and knowledge of General Industry Standards
- Military experience and 4 years of related experience in safety and knowledge of General Industry Standards
- A minimum of 20 % travel
- Multi-site safety experience across a wide range of geographical regions.
- Certifications such as Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST), Safety Management Specialist (SMS), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or other appropriate credentials.
- ISO9000 certification
- Ability to identify areas of improvement, think outside the box, find innovative solutions and fresh ideas.
- Influence, maintain and foster relationships within and across the organization.
- Possess a knowledge of safety to include federal and state regulations/statutes.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the worker’s compensation and return to work process.
- Strong analytical ability: understand safety data and identify patterns and or trends on reports, presentations, cost benefit analysis, or white papers for senior managers.
- Strong computer skills required particularly with MS Excel or other data processing software.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official description on file with Talent.