SVP, Group Medicare
Become a part of our caring community and help us put health firstHumana is a $100 billion (Fortune 40) market leader in integrated healthcare with a clearly defined purpose to help people achieve lifelong well-being. As a company focused on the health and well-being of the people we serve, Humana is committed to advancing the employment experience and vitality of the associate community. Through offerings anchored in a whole-person view of human well-being, Humana embraces a focus on stimulating positive individual and population changes while nurturing a sense of security, enabling people to live life fully and be their most productive.
Against that backdrop, we are seeking a talented Group Medicare executive to join our team as Senior Vice President (SVP), Group Medicare. In this role, you will own and will be the single point of accountability in the Group Medicare segment to grow membership, achieve the agreed-to P&L results, set strategic direction, resolve business escalations, lead and develop people, and obtain results to support the company’s goals and drive shareholder value for this $7 billion business segment.
The SVP will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Medicare Division Leader and will lead a multi-level organization of ~65-70 associates, with six direct reports. This position can be located anywhere within the lower 48 states and will not require relocation.
- Ownership of Group Medicare P&L including decisions over contracting, clinical execution, sales and rating with responsibility for overall growth and non-admin load profitability within the region.
- Set strategy, coordinates execution, and allocates resources across markets.
- Lead a team of senior executives over sales, clinical directives and strategy.
- Provide guidance to Market Presidents in Individual Medicare to set market strategy.
- Provide input into performance reviews, hiring and suitability assessment of roles partnering with the region.
- Monitor financial and operational performance and make improvements and ensure and positive results.
- Identify and communicate the need for improvements and changes in Humana’s products and services.
- Work with senior leadership within the Group Medicare Segment and across other segments to strengthen the Group Medicare Segment’s value proposition, eliminate barriers and accomplish shared goals.
- Collaborate closely with Medicare Regional Presidents to drive tighter partnership and accountability for shared resources and strengthen Humana’s position in the region.
- Build relationships with key decision makers at national distribution firms and key integrated delivery systems in the region, as well as National Labor and Public Sector clients and prospects.
- Cascade and communicate national strategies, goals, initiatives, process updates and operating principles to associates.
- Provide input to overall segment strategy and provides recommendations to senior executives.
- Hire and retain “A-players” and develop team to meet and exceed results.
Use your skills to make an impact
Key Candidate Qualifications
In general terms, the ideal candidate will have extensive leadership experience (typically 10+ years) in the healthcare industry, specifically Group Medicare or Medicare Advantage health plans, and a proven track record of driving operational performance improvement. He/she will have demonstrable expertise in developing multi-product strategy, along with a record of success working in a matrixed environment with Underwriting, Actuarial and Trend Management to deliver against P&L targets. Finally, this person will be a strong leader of people with proven success in expanding and elevating the capabilities and performance of a multi-level team.
In addition to the above, the following professional credentials and personal attributes are also sought:
- In-depth understanding of partners/functions within and outside the segment. Understanding of how organization capabilities interrelate across segments and enterprise-wide.
- Demonstrated ability in building relationships with brokers, consultants, and employer groups.
- Deep knowledge of the health insurance industry, competitive landscape, and trends within the provider community.
- Understanding of trends in consumer needs and patterns of care.
- Solid knowledge of health plan finance and the compensation arrangements between health plans and providers.
- Knowledge of risk arrangements, combined with the ability to influence these arrangements.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the polish, poise, and executive presence that will ensure effective interaction with senior and executive level audiences, both internally and externally.
- Current or recent experience in a large, highly matrixed company (i.e., Fortune 150), with proven ability to influence leaders and key stakeholders in such an environment
- Highly collaborative mindset and excellent relationship-building skills, including the ability to engage many diverse stakeholders and SMEs and win their co-ownership in the outcome, particularly in scenarios that call for “tough conversations” to be conducted.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree is highly desired.
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is committed to putting health first – for our teammates, our customers and our company. Through our Humana insurance services and CenterWell healthcare services, we make it easier for the millions of people we serve to achieve their best health – delivering the care and service they need, when they need it. These efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, Medicaid, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Humana not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran. It is also the policy of Humana to take affirmative action to employ and to advance in employment, all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status, and to base all employment decisions only on valid job requirements. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.