Roadway Engineer ($5,000 Signing Bonus)
Hanson Professional Services Inc.
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a candidate to fill a full time Roadway Engineer position for our Peoria, IL office. Our new team member will be expected advance Hanson's technical roadway abilities with local municipalities and IDOT for a broad variety of transportation engineering projects.
This person is expected to work as part of multidisciplinary design teams to plan and execute transportation projects for a variety of clients including local governments and state departments of transportation. Projects are likely to include reconstruction and rehabilitation of rural highways and roads, urban highways and streets, major urban thoroughfares, urban and rural bridge replacements, culverts and storm sewer, intersections, sidewalks and multiuse paths, rail grade crossings, signing, pavement marking, and traffic control plans for construction. Position requires the ability to serve as a key member of the project design team providing direction to junior level staff in the areas of roadway design. Position requires the ability to work on a variety of road related projects, take direction from multiple project managers, and coordinate with other staff. From time to time there will be opportunities to support work on projects from other states. A component of the work may include construction observation and resident engineering duties. Expect to work on a variety of projects, interact with clients and contractors, and coordinate with multiple support staff locally and from other offices. It is important that this position can support project teams from initial planning through design to construction. There may be opportunities to engage on projects with other state departments of transportation, toll authorities, aviation clients, railroads, and other private clients.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Prepare engineering design/analysis, construction plans and contract documents as well as authoring technical documents such as engineering reports and special provisions.
- Assist with public involvement activities
- Collaborate with senior technical staff and other project disciplines.
- Provide direction and mentoring to engineering support staff.
- Prepare and review calculations, quantity takeoffs and opinions of probable cost.
- Visit project sites to review existing conditions, identify potential challenges, and develop alternative solutions and recommendations.
- Assist agencies with the advertising and bidding process.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Assist with project/contract proposals and presentations for project pursuits.
- Assist in development of project scope and fee required for technical tasks.
- Assist with grant applications
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with roadway design.
- Experience with Microstation and a roadway design software such as Geopak, OpenRoads Designer, or Civil 3D.
- Willingness to learn:
- IDOT, and other agencies’ permit and design requirements.
- MFT and other types.
- Utility coordination.
- OpenRoads Designer software.
- Mentoring and guiding junior technical staff.
- Build effective relationships with internal and external client bases.
- Oral communication and technical writing skills.
- Participation with professional or technical organizations.
- Ability to assist on project pursuits.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
- 5+ years of total experience.
- 3+ years of experience related to road design.
- Illinois P.E. or eligible to obtain within 6 months.
Working at Hanson:
- Collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices.
- Candidate must be willing to accept occasional out-of-town travel assignments.
- Must be willing to work overtime to meet project demands when needed.
- Join the Hanson team and love what you do. Focus on making a difference as you support the development of infrastructure that has a positive impact on communities across the country.
Our focus on people means we offer a generous benefits program to help you create a solid foundation for health and security throughout your career, including:
401(k) with matching contribution
Employee Stock Ownership Plan
Comprehensive health & well-being plans
Financial wellness plans
Work-life balance programs
Want to know more? Visit our benefits page for all the details.
We understand that selecting a job is about more than the day-to-day tasks. It’s important to feel like you belong and safe to grow and progress along your career path. You’ll find that at Hanson. We have an inclusive, diverse workforce awaiting to connect with you and numerous opportunities to cultivate your career, including:
Monthly educational webinars
Lunch & learn development sessions
24/7 access to thousands of skill-building courses
Award-winning internship program
And so much more!
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERAN
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies/staffing firms. Resumes are only accepted from recruiters and agency/staffing firms if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specified position.