Tech I, GTTC - GROWMARK Tank & Truck Center - Morton, IL
POSTING DATES: At least five days
SUPERVISOR: Terry Aeschleman
LOCATION: Morton, IL
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY STATEMENT
Under the direct supervision of the Shop Manager / Foreman, performs all fleet maintenance required for GROWMARK and external customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Performs maintenance and repairs according to company operating procedures and standards. Fulfills all required regulatory agency obligations. Analyzes maintenance problems and determines solutions.
Operates diagnostic equipment to analyze and identify needed repairs and problems.
Repairs pressure vessels, dry vans, fuel trailers, and all other GROWMARK equipment, as well as LP bobtails and fuel tank wagons.
Responsible for ensuring all necessary tools are available for completing daily work.
Maintains working knowledge of proper welding techniques.
Maintains a safe and clean work environment and adheres to all company safety standards and guidelines.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
Attends and completes appropriate maintenance schools and D.O.T. training.
Follows GROWMARK’s Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Program, Environmental Health and Safety, OSHA and DOT policies and procedures, as they apply.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Normally requires a high school degree or GED equivalent to demonstrate the ability to read and interpret maintenance manuals. Prefer diesel and/or heavy duty truck maintenance experience and the ability to qualify to perform federal annual inspections and become a certified air brake technician. Ability to complete the Maintenance Apprentice Program training and pass each phase.
The ability to climb into, out of, and work inside small confined spaces with a 16 inch entry/exit opening.
- Learn basic shop procedures to include: safety, proper work order and tire work orders steps to insure correct parts pricing, labor hours, unit numbers, etc. for the training purposes on GROWMARK units, as well as outside customer repairs and invoicing. Various safety phases must be completed within the first 90 days of employment.
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations and requirements as they relate to proper maintenance, testing, and reporting requirements on all MC/ DOT-coded trailers and GROWMARK van trailers. This is to include all PM inspection forms, testing forms, and hose reports. This will be an on-going learning program throughout GROWMARK employment.
- General mechanical knowledge with the ability to: repair leaks on petroleum, anhydrous ammonia, and LP units (not to include any welding on the tank itself), brake jobs, suspension repairs, pump and valve rebuilding, minor electrical repairs, pressuring and de-pressuring MC330/331 bottles safely, and welding and cutting (plasma, cutting torch, Stick, tig and mig).
- Must obtain a CDL license with Hazmat and Air Brake endorsements within the first year of employment.
- Must successfully complete all necessary weld test in all positions within first two years of employment.
- Must complete all training programs and workshops including wheel end training and cargo tank workshop.
- Must become a Registered Inspector by successfully completing the Apprenticeship Program within three to four years of employment.
- Must have the ability to become a certified D.O.T. mechanic (after 1 year of employment) and be able to complete federal annual inspections as required by HM183 and be a certified air brake technician.
Demonstrates essential abilities including business knowledge, collaboration, communication, customer focus, decision making and skill development.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
Proven verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
Ability to perform work in confined spaces, stand for long periods of time, and lift items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Must be willing and able to work hours beyond those usually considered normal.
Must be willing and able to travel independently and overnight
Frequently exposed to the following conditions: Extreme weather (hot, cold, wet, etc.), noisy conditions, dust, fumes, chemicals, and electrical hazards with appropriate safely measures.
Must provide own mechanics tools.
Ability and willingness to participate in required training that may include education on GROWMARK’s policies and procedures and additional training as it relates to the requirements of the position.
We are an equal opportunity employer, including protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities. Employment may be contingent upon receipt of an acceptable and job-related background check, drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.