MECHANICAL MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
City of Peoria, Illinois
- Applications are required for each vacancy. Resumes may be attached but will not be accepted in lieu of applications. The application must be signed, dated, completely filled in and returned to the Human Resources Department by the filing date indicated on the Vacancy Announcement. All information submitted is subject to verification.
- The City only accepts applications for posted positions.
- If selected, City residency must be established within one year of hire (or within the timeframe outlined in bargaining unit contract, if applicable). Residency must be maintained for the duration of employment. Applicants need not be current residents of the City of Peoria to be considered.
- After an offer of employment but prior to hire, all applicants must complete a medical examination including a drug screen.
- All new hires will be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- A summary of employment benefits may be obtained by contacting the City’s Human Resources Department.
- The City’s Administrative Action Plan for Fair Practices is available for inspection by contacting the City’s Equal Opportunity Office, City Hall, Room 303 or by calling (309) 494-8594.
- Applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the selection process may notify the Human Resources Department of such request.
The City of Peoria is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The purpose of this position is to maintain and repair existing building mechanical systems. This is accomplished by setting up programming and occupancy schedules of the buildings; assisting on new system designs; and maintaining equipment. Other duties include providing on call services for building emergencies.
Examples of Duties
Performs HVAC maintenance and repair by setting up and executing regular schedules and performing regular preventive maintenance on all HVAC systems.
Performs general maintenance and repair by cleaning, replacing, and maintaining ice machines, plumbing systems, vehicle exhaust systems, and miscellaneous building equipment.
Programs and updates software for DDC controls by maintaining logs of used chemicals and lab analysis; assisting in inspection of boilers and pressure vessels; creating work orders; and installing new boilers, mini split units, heat pumps and other HVAC related systems.
Associate’s degree or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school; must have UA CFC qualification- Universal, BTJ Steamfitter, and CFC Universal License; over four years up to and including six years experience. Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job considered. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Work requires advanced skills and knowledge in approaches and systems, which affect the design and implementation of major programs and/or processed organization wide. Independent judgment and decision-making abilities are necessary to apply technical skills effectively. Knowledge of DDC Systems, Trane Tracer SC, Trane Summit and Automated Logic and interfacing with all equipment types through BACnet. Skill in Trane, York rooftops and chillers, AON system controls, Liebert computer room units, Carrier rooftop units. All residential HVAC equipment, Geothermal systems, and Raypak boilers.