EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS TELECOMMUNICATOR/TRAINEE
City of Peoria, Illinois
- Applications are required for each vacancy. Resumes may be attached but will not be accepted in lieu of applications. The application must be signed, dated, completely filled in and returned to the Human Resources Department by the filing date indicated on the Vacancy Announcement. All information submitted is subject to verification.
- The City only accepts applications for posted positions.
- If selected, City residency must be established within one year of hire (or within the timeframe outlined in bargaining unit contract, if applicable). Residency must be maintained for the duration of employment. Applicants need not be current residents of the City of Peoria to be considered.
- After an offer of employment but prior to hire, all applicants must complete a medical examination including a drug screen.
- All new hires will be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- A summary of employment benefits may be obtained by contacting the City’s Human Resources Department.
- The City’s Administrative Action Plan for Fair Practices is available for inspection by contacting the City’s Equal Opportunity Office, City Hall, Room 303 or by calling (309) 494-8594.
- Applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the selection process may notify the Human Resources Department of such request.
The City of Peoria is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
LOCATION: PEORIA MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 542 SW ADAMS, PEORIA, ILLINOIS (Free Parking)
SALARY: 2024 Rate: $23.52/hr as Trainee - $25.98/hr as Telecommunicator
Initially hired as Trainee; promoted to Telecommunicator after completion of training
$250.00 bonus upon hire, $500.00 bonus upon completion of one year, $250.00 bonus upon completion of 18 months.
HOURS: Days off, Shifts, and Hours vary
Three Shifts: 1st=6:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m., 2nd=2:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., 3rd=10:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m.
As-Needed Shift (any hours and days with minimum 5 days notice – after completion of training) High probability of 2nd or 3rd shift, two consecutive days off during the week, work all weekends and holidays.
The City of Peoria Emergency Communications Center (ECC) is responsible for emergency communications for the citizens of the City of Peoria and Peoria County. The ECC provides dispatching services to Peoria Police, Peoria Fire, Peoria County Sheriff, Emergency Medical Services, Peoria County Fire & EMS agencies and other City departments as part of the Peoria City/County Enhanced 9-1-1 system. The ECC typically receives over 350,000 incoming telephone calls a year. Telecommunicators are responsible for communication between those in need and police, fire and emergency medical services (EMS). This is done by taking emergency phone calls, sending out appropriate information for Police, Fire and EMS and providing accurate contact information for affected individuals.
- Examples of Duties
IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTES: Skill in typing information (45 words per minute), using letter/number combinations, quickly and accurately; ability to handle a high degree of stress; ability to listen to caller, type information into computer about the call, and respond to radio simultaneously; make decisions quickly and take effective action in emergency situations; ability to establish and maintain working relationships with the general public and other employees.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Tests will be conducted on an on-going basis; applicants will be notified of testing dates; applicants who successfully pass all required tests will be placed in an eligibility pool for future hire. Candidates who successfully pass tests will be required to observe in the ECC for a minimum of 4 hours. Candidates will be given an orientation and detailed information about the duties and environment. Selected candidate must successfully pass a criminal background check, pre-employment physical, including a drug screen, prior to hire.
- Minimum Qualifications
High school diploma or GED; radio or telephone communication courses helpful; prior related dispatching experience desirable; experience in multi-tasking jobs a plus; equivalent combination of education and experience considered; must pass computerized telecommunicator test and oral interview; selected candidate must successfully pass background investigation conducted by the Police Department.
- Supplemental Information