ACCOUNTS PAYABLE TECHNICIAN
City of Peoria, Illinois
DEPARTMENT: FINANCE DEPARTMENT
LOCATION: City Hall, 419 Fulton Street, Room 106
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
The purpose of this position is to process approved purchase orders and issue checks for the completion of payments to City vendors, and to handle Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests while also furnishing payment information to vendors and other departments within the organization. The position functions under the supervision of the Finance Manager.
APPLICATIONS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL BE ACCEPTED IN THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, CITY HALL, 419 FULTON, ROOM 202, PEORIA, IL 61602 UNTIL THE DEADLINE DATE. FAX# (309) 494-8587, PHONE# (309) 494-8575; E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org; WEBSITE www.peoriagov.org. AN EMPLOYEE HIRED ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2023, MUST RESIDE WITHIN THE CITY OF PEORIA. AN EMPLOYEE’S UNAUTHORIZED RESIDENCY OUTSIDE THE CITY OF PEORIA SHALL BE GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE TERMINATION.
- Examples of Duties
Accounts Payable and General Administrative Tasks:
- Verify and align invoices with approved purchase orders.
- Execute the processing of accounts payable payments.
- Enter invoices for payment and/or scan invoices for payment.
- Conduct accounts payable runs for payment processing.
- Generate vendor checks and prepare them for mailing.
- Maintain an organized filing system for financial records.
- Offer support and assistance to various functions within the department.
- Carry out general clerical tasks as required.
- Reconcile year-end accounts payable transactions.
- Process year-end 1099 forms.
- Provide notary services to the entire finance department.
- Interpreting and explaining job-related policies, procedures and laws.
- Processing Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
Administrative and Customer Support Responsibility:
- Assisting customers by answering phone calls and in- person inquiries regarding a variety of issues.
- Composing emails or other correspondence on job-related issues.
- Prepare correspondence.
- Provide purchasing and finance office support.
- Fulfill employment administration support.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Maintain calendars and schedules.
- Plan, prioritize, and schedule meetings, interviews, appointments, travel, training, testing, and conferences.
- Answer telephones and direct callers
- Greet the general public and assist with forms and documents.
- Receive and distribute packages.
- Type various correspondence, forms, reports, and other documents
- Enter work order and maintenance requests.
- Answer or research questions
- Minimum Qualifications
High School diploma or GED; over one year up to and including two years of related experience; a minimum typing of 35 wpm. Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job, considered. Notary Public preferred.
- Supplemental Information
Customer service skills are necessary. Knowledge of general clerical and accounting procedures; office terminology and procedures; customer service principals and techniques. Ability to review written documents with attention to detail; operate standard office equipment; enter, adjust, and retrieve data using a computer; make mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately; research information from a variety of sources; produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper English sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar; comprehend and follow complex written and verbal instructions; communicate verbally with other employees and the general public in face to face one on one settings or using a telephone; meet established deadlines; file documents alphabetically, numerically, and chronologically; work independently with minimal supervision; work cooperatively with other City employees and the public.