Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
As a Tax Manager in the U.S. Direct Tax group, you will be the primary point of contact with U.S. governmental authorities for communications on audits and controversy. This entails frequent interactions with authorities, timely transmittal of governmental inquiries, Caterpillar responses, and documentation. The experienced professional utilizes organizational skills, emotional intelligence, and high-level of accountability to ensure a strong relationship between Caterpillar and U.S. governmental authorities.
What You Will Do:
- Proactively monitor status of all outstanding requests through Global Tax tools and transmitting documents upon senior management approval.
- Develop strong relationship with IRS examiners through attending regular meetings and near daily correspondence with auditors on day-to-day operational aspects of current audits and controversy.
- Address notices and account issues through a network of Global Tax professionals and IRS Service Center.
- Manage various tools within US Direct Tax team, especially US Federal Audit workflows and legal entity information.
- Lead or support projects related to process improvements, enhanced governance, or other initiatives.
What You Have:
- Education/Experience: This position typically requires a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or business-related degree and 6+ years of progressively responsible finance experience.
- Effective Communications: Understanding of effective communication concepts; adapts documents and correspondence for intended audience; Demonstrates both empathy and assertiveness when communicating with authorities.
- Problem Solving: Knowledge of approaches and tools for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving problems; organizes problem solvers and leads to resolution; Analyzes and synthesizes information.
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail: Understanding the necessity and value of accuracy; implements variety of cross-checking approaches.
- Tax Operations: Stewards and transmits documents for tax audits; facilitates resolution of outstanding items and inquiries from governmental authorities.
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Understanding of Caterpillar finance and business processes.
- Strong communication skills, accountability, organizational skills, and good judgment.
- Collaborative and team-oriented personality with the ability to build and foster relationships throughout the organization.
- Strong knowledge of M365 and familiarity with SharePoint.
What You Will Get:
- Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
- Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays.
- All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
- Location: Peoria, IL
- Domestic relocation is available for those who qualify
- Travel expectation: 5-10%
- Sponsorship is not available
Caterpillar Inc. is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, off-highway diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. For nearly 100 years, we’ve been helping customers build a better, more sustainable world and are committed and contributing to a reduced-carbon future. Our innovative products and services, backed by our global dealer network, provide exceptional value that helps customers succeed.
#LIRelocation is available for this position.Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.