Sr Engineer - HVAC Systems Engineering
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Engineer to join our team and support HVAC system engineering! You will work in the Earthmoving Cab Systems and Environment division, responsible for configuring operator HVAC systems that enhance the user experience and productivity.
As the successful candidate, you will design and develop HVAC-related components and systems, collaborating closely with the machine integration and validation teams to optimize integration. You will participate in the requirements gathering, functional specification creation, DFMEA & PFMEA exercises, validation planning, and troubleshooting.
The candidate is expected to provide technical leadership for HVAC systems, working with customers and process partners, such as Machine Business Divisions, cab system teams, Global Purchasing, etc. The incumbent will be responsible for leading multiple projects simultaneously, meeting all quality, cost, and timing deliverables.
Once hired, you must demonstrate strong customer focus, teamwork, global collaboration, and communication capabilities. This position will also require the application of new technologies and products, as well as new manufacturing and assembly processes.
What You Will Do:
- Ensuring HVAC components and systems are developed and built to the highest standard of performance excellence and quality for construction and mining machines.
- Addressing design inquiries and quality concerns originating from sources such as end users, dealers and manufacturing facilities using Build in Quality (BIQ) and Continuous Product Improvement (CPI) initiatives.
- Collaborating with the machine integration and validation teams to ensure the components and system are optimized for performance, quality, cost, and overall user experience.
- Participating in the requirements gathering, functional specification creation, DFMEA & PFMEA exercises, and validation planning.
- Collaboration with our supply base and other HVAC experts within Caterpillar and the industry to leverage the latest in technology, processes, and best practices.
What You Have (Basic Qualifications):
- Degree requirement: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited engineering curriculum (mechanical engineering degree is strongly preferred)
- Technical Excellence: 6+ years’ experience designing, testing, or manufacturing HVAC components and systems, refrigeration systems, or other similar thermodynamic systems.
- Computer-Aided Design & Engineering: High level of proficiency in CREO or other 3D modeling tools
- Effective Communication: Strong communication and influencing skills to work with people from many different backgrounds, cultures and levels within the organization. Candidate must have prior experience working with suppliers and customers.
Top Candidates Will Have:
- Master's degree from an accredited Mechanical Engineering or related technical curriculum.
- 3+ years of experience with project management strategies, the ability to plan, organize and monitor projects from conception through completion.
- Fundamental understanding of air filtration/cabin air quality.
- Manufacturing engineering experience in automotive or construction equipment.
- Location: Mossville, IL
- Domestic relocation is available to those who qualify.
- Visa sponsorship is available to those who qualify.
- 10-15% travel expected (international & domestic)
What You Will Get:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Caterpillar Inc. is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, off-highway diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. For nearly 100 years, we’ve been helping customers build a better, more sustainable world and are committed and contributing to a reduced-carbon future. Our innovative products and services, backed by our global dealer network, provide exceptional value that helps customers succeed.Relocation is available for this position.Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.