Engineering Manager 2
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Do you have a passion for helping customers and supporting a sustainable solution? Since 1973, Cat Reman has helped bring the value at the core of every Cat product back to life. Customers look to us to provide a high-quality solution that is good for their business - and promotes sustainability. It's important to us to deliver. Our team is full of industry leaders. Together, following common values, we share a passion for delivering sustainability benefits that help the company contribute to a circular economy. It’s rewarding work, with an inspiring team, where every contribution matters.
About the role:
The Engineering Manager 2 will lead all Reman engine systems (fuel systems, turbos, aftertreatment, and various other engine system components), proivde managerial and technical direction to a staff of hourly, salaried, and management personnel including technical specialist(s) and supervisor(s) engaged in manufacturing, product / component design, development / research activities with a long-range focus on technology, product families, and major processes or services.
What you will do:
Reporting to this position are various levels of managers, supervisors, team leaders, engineers and support personnel in multiple geographic locations (Illinois, Texas, and Nuevo Laredo Mexico). This position has other managers reporting to it. This role requires a short / long range focus on business execution / strategy, planning for technology, product families, and entire major processes and services. Key responsibilities include planning for future resources and developing capabilities in terms of people, technology and facilities; consciously establishing a culture that encourages innovation, partnering and collaborative relationships and a customer focus; developing supplier strategies; developing partnerships within Caterpillar and with suppliers and customers; pursuing creative approaches for improvement; integrating Reman products and services to meet customers’ needs; and providing leadership to the organization and coaching others in coaching. Previous team leadership experience and organization skills are necessary. Advanced program management skills are critical. Incumbents will be dealing with a global marketplace both in terms of customers and in terms of sourcing suppliers, production, and talent.
Managing team members via knowledge of processes involved in managing people; ability to lead successful teams, and diligently address issues related to performance and conflicts at the workplace are a key part of this position. Key managing people skill descriptors include:
- Anticipates and manages difficult interpersonal situations and conflicts; resolves them to mutual satisfaction.
- Consults within the team; seeks inputs from subordinates and considers all views while making decisions.
- Implements coaching and mentoring programs to ensure the holistic development of employees.
- Monitors employee morale and satisfaction; recognizes employee contributions and achievements.
- Regularly reviews employee performance and provides constructive feedback.
- Works collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds; understands their needs and perspectives.
Decision making and critical thinking is needed by the incumbent providing Reman engine systems leadership to help execute current business plans from a quality, velocity, cost, and growth perspective. This would include critical leadership on Reman engine systems “Day One Defect Free” quality initiative (product manufactured at Nuevo Laredo and through the Reman purchase finished supplier base) as well as ongoing continuous improvement and closure of CPI and warranty issues. This also includes management of a team of 20+ engineering and hourly resources supporting the day-to-day operations of Nuevo Laredo. Incumbent also partners with Nuevo Laredo operations to provide execution governance of cost related reman salvage projects critical to business plan financials. Key decision-making skill descriptors include:
- Differentiates assumptions, perspectives, and historical frameworks.
- Evaluates past decisions for insights to improve decision-making process.
- Assesses and validates decision options and points and predicts their potential impact.
- Advises others in analyzing and synthesizing relevant data and assessing alternatives.
- Uses effective decision-making approaches such as consultative, command, or consensus.
- Ensures that assumptions and received wisdom are objectively analyzed in decisions.
Knowledge of effective collaboration techniques and ability to build networks with people from different countries and cultures, think and work with them to bring positive impact and flourishing business results are key elements of this position The role is critical to the execution of the Reman aftermarket growth initiative via high levels of leadership and collaboration with the Reman engine systems NPI manager. That includes upfront NPI alignment with first fit partners across Caterpillar to ensure critical elements of Reman’s aftermarket growth strategy is incorporated into upfront engine/machine NPI program component requirements. In addition, this position will work with different internal customers; some of those are manufacturing managers, product managers, NPI managers, and accounting managers. Decisions will impact near-term business plan execution and long-term strategies of growth, technology, reman product families, and reman processes or services. The incumbent will also work with the commercial / marketing and service engineering teams for the development of technical marketing materials (value stories) and technical communications for Caterpillar dealers and customers. Key collaboration skill descriptors include:
- Evaluates different viewpoints and reconciles conflicting interests to achieve a collective understanding and a group mission.
- Provides optimum solutions for complex problems by using collective intelligence of colleagues' networks.
- Trains others on the new technologies or techniques used to facilitate group interactions and improve collaboration.
- Uses internal and external network of leaderships or experts to help achieve organizational and client goals.
- Facilitates group's thinking and brainstorming activities to collectively create and share ideas.
- Oversees a team collaboration to produce positive business results.
This role is also accountable for protecting Reman’s intellectual property by properly classifying and restricting access to Caterpillar technical information.
This position faces ongoing change – adapting and adjusting to achieve business plan goals, increased competitive pressures, increasing product complexity and ever-increasing customer demands. Therefore, the ability to draw upon foundational business acumen and product development skills such as conceptual design, development of product and/or process, data analysis & extraction, failure resolution & prevention, technical project management, internal and external requirements management, and cost-value management is required. This role requires that the incumbent increases their understanding of the business and the aspects of applying reman technology to meet both business and customer needs.
What you will have:
Engineering degree or a closely related technical degree with 15 or more years of experience. Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience required.
Top candidates will also have:
• Practical experience with machinery and shop environments
• Fuel systems, air systems, aftertreatment systems, and/or prime product/component engineering experience.
• Knowledge of remanufacturing process.
• Knowledge of the APQP process, NPI process, and 6 Sigma methodologies.
What You Will Get:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays.
Relocation assistance is offered for this position.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O.Relocation is available for this position.Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.