Corporate Counsel - IP
Career Area:Legal and Compliance
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
The Caterpillar IP team has broad international exposure to IP matters and provides the opportunity to work closely with colleagues spread over the globe. The role will require a highly motivated and experience individual that is looking for autonomy and flexibility, but also looking to be part of an enthusiastic team.
Caterpillar is seeking an experienced attorney to serve as Corporate Counsel to execute our worldwide intellectual property strategy. Caterpillar’s legal team offers a very broad-based intellectual property practice, including:
- Patent portfolio management, including invention harvesting and working with external counsel to have patent applications drafted and prosecuted
- IP risk management, including management of conflict matters and post-grant procedures
- IP enforcement against third parties
- IP agreements counselling and support
The position will be primarily focused on drafting and negotiating complex IP focused agreements and providing general counseling to internal clients. A significant portion of the work relates to emerging technologies, such as electric vehicles, alternative fuels, and autonomous worksites. The position also requires familiarity with data rights and related agreement provisions. The candidate will also be involved in identifying other commercial and IP legal issues and coordinating internally with other attorneys and subject matter experts to effectively counsel the client and mitigate legal risks.
Experience in other aspects of intellectual property law (e.g. trademark registration and enforcement or patent prosecution and risk analysis) may be considered, but it is not a requirement that the candidate be admitted to the patent bar. Whether your experience has been in-house or in private practice, you must demonstrate strong commercial judgement, excellent communication skills, and must also be prepared to undertake occasional business travel.
What You Will Do:
- Advising management and providing clear recommendations on legal matters and related risks.
- Providing legal support for a business division or significant legal practice area through supervision of a team, or coordination of a network of legal professionals, or serving as a subject matter expert.
- Researching complex legal issues and reviewing and drafting legal documents consistent with legal strategies and goals in line with company's business objectives.
What You Have:
- Legal Analysis: Experience drafting and negotiating licensing, development, non-disclosure, collaboration, and other IP focused agreements with customers and other partners
- Problem Solving: Ability to collaborate vertically and horizontally, across levels and various business functions within the company, and with external parties
- Effective Communications: The ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Decision Making and Critical Thinking: Results-oriented and willing to take initiative, identify risks, make decisions, and take action to resolve IP related problems and improve IP related results
- Influencing: Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills with demonstrated ability to impact, influence, and negotiate with internal and external resources
Degree and Experience Requirements:
- J.D. from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials
- Active Bar admission in any U.S. state
- Must have considerable legal experience drafting and negotiating IP agreements, preferably from a large law firm or in-house at a large company
- The primary location for this position is Peoria, IL
- Domestic relocation assistance is available for those who qualify
- Sponsorship is not available
- 5-10% travel is expected
- This posting will close at midnight on December 4, 2023
What You Will Get:
- Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
- Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays.
- All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Caterpillar Inc. is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, off-highway diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. For nearly 100 years, we’ve been helping customers build a better, more sustainable world and are committed and contributing to a reduced-carbon future. Our innovative products and services, backed by our global dealer network, provide exceptional value that helps customers succeed.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
#LIRelocation is available for this position.Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.