Transportation Manager 1
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Our Product Support and Logistics Division (PSLD) is one of the most innovative divisions within Caterpillar. In PSLD, as within all of Caterpillar, our priority is our customers and helping them build a better world. We touch nearly every element of the services value stream from procurement to design and manufacturing to distribution. PSLD is responsible for Aftermarket Parts Distribution of Cat Parts, Integrated Logistics, segment Procurement and the design and manufacture of Wear Components (Undercarriage and GET) and Maintenance Components (Seals, Tubes & Hardware, Hose & Couplings, Fluids and Filters).
We’re committed to our customers, who build a better world with our products, services and solutions. We understand and show the value of why they should always choose us. We’re exploring new ideas and opportunities – innovating to discover the breakthroughs necessary for tomorrow’s growth.
Our Integrated Logistics (ILS) team provides end-to-end integrated logistics solutions designed, deployed, and executed to support Caterpillar’s global footprint of manufacturing plants, suppliers, distribution centers and dealers. Capabilities include:
- Packaging Design and Returnable Container Management.
- Inbound International and Domestic Transportation.
- Logistics Network Operations – including Manufacturing Parts Nodes, Site Logistics and Cross Dock Operations.
- Outbound Logistics – International and Domestic: Specialized Cargo and Product Distribution Solutions.
- Customs Operations – Ensuring shipment velocity (across international borders) while complying with import and export regulations throughout the world.
What You Will Do:
The Transportation Manager 1 will be responsible for the management of a team of transportation professionals with accountability for all inbound transportation execution for Caterpillar Midwest manufacturing customers including: Track Type Tractors, Surface Mining, Manufacturing Parts Network, Cat Paving, and Large Power Systems.
- Accountable for setting and meeting freight financial goals for facilities in scope.
- Coordinate problem resolution with Caterpillar facilities and approved Service Providers with regards to transportation services.
- Implements solutions to reduce performance gaps within the transportation network.
- Deploy process improvement initiatives and improved transportation methods to support Caterpillar’s quality, velocity and cost objectives resulting in OPACC realized by customer facilities.
- Coordinates impact analysis and implementation of cost-effective solutions with Providers.
- Develops processes and ensures adherence to transportation standards and business rules.
- Provides analytical insights and reporting to leadership and internal customers to generate fact-driven solutions and performance metric reporting.
- Other duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time-to-time.
What You Have (Basic Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree, or 5 (plus) years of experience in Transportation and/or Logistics/Supply Chain.
- Previous experience with Transportation software; preferably TM, CASS, Freights Pay, Blue Yonder.
- Previous project leadership experience with high-impact initiatives.
- Experience with Microsoft based applications: PowerPoint, Excel, Access (specifically Excel application functionality experience with data analysis V Lookups and pivot tables).
- Ability to travel domestically up-to 15% of the time.
What You Have (Preferred Qualifications):
- Previous supervisory experience of salaried employees.
- Master’s degree in Supply Chain, Engineering, Business or related field.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker able to plan and optimize methods of material movement.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven customer-focus and time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Location: Morton, IL (USA)
- This position does not offer relocation assistance.
- Our team embraces flexibility through a hybrid work model. In addition to working onsite at our facility in Morton, IL, our hybrid work model allows employees flexibility to work from home based on business need.
#BIVisa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.