Entry-Level Transportation Analyst
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
At Caterpillar, we work to help our customers build a better world. Without our team of talented, bright and driven individuals, we wouldn’t be the Caterpillar we are today. Now, this is your chance to join our team and do work that matters. We want you to help us enable customer success, make progress possible around the world and help our communities grow and thrive. We are looking for a dynamic, organized self-starter to join our Product Support and Logistics Division as an Entry-Level Transportation Analyst at our largest facility in Morton, IL.
The Product Support and Logistics Division (PSLD) is one of the most innovative divisions within Caterpillar. In PSLD, as within all of Caterpillar, our priority is our customers and helping them build a better world. We touch nearly every element of the services value stream from procurement to design and manufacturing to distribution. PSLD is responsible for Aftermarket Parts Distribution of Cat Parts, Integrated Logistics, segment Procurement and the design and manufacture of Wear Components (Undercarriage and GET) and Maintenance Components (Seals, Tubes & Hardware, Hose & Couplings, Fluids and Filters).
We’re committed to our customers, who build a better world with our products, services and solutions. We understand and show the value of why they should always choose us. We’re exploring new ideas and opportunities – innovating to discover the breakthroughs necessary for tomorrow’s growth.
Through it all, we are one team – creating and delivering world-class components and solutions superior to the competition.
Learn more about the Caterpillar Experience
Responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Coordinate problem resolution with Caterpillar facilities and approved Service Providers with regards to transportation services.
- Manage transportation operations (Inbound) including but not limited to: Carrier coverage, operations, and performance
- Standards development and adherence (Guidelines, Practices, Specifications)
- Integration with Ground Transportation Operations Control (GTOC) and GMM operations
- Support for expedited shipments
- Conduit to other Transportation enterprise services
- Lead transportation network improvement initiatives
- Track projects against success measurements, including quality, velocity, cost metrics
- Provide project reporting and status
- Conduct ongoing lane/network evaluations
- Provide operational requirements for procurement bidding activities
- Promote seamless handoff of project work to ongoing operations teams
- Conduct cost analysis for freight and variance reporting
- Include freight for network and local moves for all lanes and modes
- Define and track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Publish KPI results and root cause and corrective action (RCCA)
- Provide accurate and timely reporting for each KPI, with RCCA reporting for metrics below target
- Identifies, analyzes, develops and implements improved transportation methods that support Caterpillar's quality, velocity and cost objectives.
- Identifies areas of possible cost savings or improvements in service, associated with the contracted Service Providers.
- Coordinates impact analysis and implementation of cost effective solutions with Providers
- Provide analytics support using transportation data and productionized reporting platforms, such as Crystal, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.
- Support the division’s strategy to achieve full visibility over freight spend and achieve real time in transit visibility including reliable ETAs
- Support visibility metrics and visibility solution development (iviz and customer projects)
- Articulate business opportunities and performance metrics using data analytics visualizations
- Develop and execute strategy around predictive analytics
- Work closely with the implementation team to ensure that the reporting capabilities are configured appropriately for the specific customer requirements (with the pre-defined operational standards)
- Analyze client and operational needs and make recommendations for developing, implementing, and/or improving, transportation services/operations
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, streamline processes, drive standard work, and eliminate waste
- Currently completing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Supply Chain, Logistics, Transportation Management or Business Administration
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8/4.0 (No rounding)
- Graduation date between April 2023 and July 2024
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, & Excel)
- Experience with PowerBI (either through work experiences or through schoolwork)
- Experience with Python (either through work experiences or through schoolwork)
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Ability to work with internal and external customers and act with a sense of urgency.
- Must be willing to relocate to Morton, IL
Top Candidates will also have:
- Knowledge or experience with Operations, Distribution, Transportation, Contracting, Warehouse Consolidation and Forwarding.
- Knowledge of a rate management systems and/or procurement tools such as Pelyco and/or GT Nexus or Paralegal skills are desired.
- Understanding of international supply chain, both physical flow and data flow including ocean carriers, air carriers, truck carriers, rail carrier’s freight forwarders, and Customs brokers.
- Experience with Transportation and/or Logistics.
- Basic relocation may be available, dependent on relocation qualifications.
- Start Dates: Please note, the start date for this position will be June through July 2024
- This position requires up to 5% travel (mostly domestic)
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment based non-immigrant and immigrant visas. However, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website www.Caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.