Secure Technology Apprentice (Cybersecurity Apprentice)
Career Area:Information Technology
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Our Secure Technology Apprenticeship (Cybersecurity Apprentice) program allows students at partner community colleges to enter the cybersecurity workforce at the same time they’re completing their education, building hands-on experience at a Fortune 100 company along the way. Secure Technology Apprentices complete multiple rotational placements in our IT division focusing on cybersecurity, IT operations, and software development.
The work our apprentices execute develops them as cybersecurity professionals and continues to benefit the enterprise even after their apprenticeship has concluded. A few examples of experiences past apprentices have had during their apprenticeship include:
- Contributing to the development of a cybersecurity customer portal
- Collaborating with software developers on vulnerability scan remediation
- Optimizing cloud infrastructure
- Developing automated “guardrails” to ensure compliance with cloud policies
- Writing configuration guidelines to help “pave the road” for customers to securely implement cloud technologies
- Participating in cyber threat intelligence processes which support risk-based decision making
- Supporting project management processes which ensure we meet commitments to our business, dealers, and customers
You will be supported throughout your journey. By pairing you with experienced professionals as well as collaborating with other apprentices, you will receive continuous support and mentorship to build you up throughout your apprenticeship.
Key Benefits Include
- Full-time benefits including competitive salary, paid time off, healthcare, 401k, and participation in our Short Term Incentive Plan (STIP – annual bonus program)
- Work hours which ensure ample time to complete your coursework
- College tuition, books, and fees paid directly to your college by the company
- Hands-on experience contributing to long-living initiatives as a cybersecurity professional at a global company
- Opportunity to develop virtual and in-person collaboration and communication skills
- Current student at either Illinois Central College or Heartland Community College in either a transferrable or non-transferrable technology degree program
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA (no rounding) – first-semester students still eligible and encouraged to apply
- Experience in cybersecurity or technology, as demonstrated by one or more of the following:
- Extracurricular activities such as club membership, robotics team, SkillsUSA, CyberPatriot, National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (CCDC), etc.
- Personal projects (learning to code, contributing to open source, hardware building, etc)
- Volunteer work in technology/cybersecurity
- Other technology/cybersecurity-related activities above minimum school commitments
- Ability to provide one faculty reference from your current institution
Top candidates may also have one or more of the following:
- Prior work experience in technology or cybersecurity. Full-time, part-time, intern, or volunteer experience are all acceptable
- Foundational knowledge of a programming language such as Python, Java, .NET, or PowerShell
Work location: East Peoria, Illinois (Hybrid)Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.