Corporate Counsel - Labor & Employment
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Caterpillar is seeking a Corporate Counsel - Labor and Employment to join it’s Legal Team in Peoria, Illinois. This role will be responsible for providing legal advice and support on U.S. labor and employment matters across the company and reports to the Associate General Counsel – Global Labor & Employee Relations. Working directly with Caterpillar’s human resources and business teams as well as other legal professionals, this role supports the human resources strategy for a diverse and multifaceted organization of over 100,000 full-time personnel located throughout the world. The successful applicant will serve as a trusted advisor to the human resources and business teams at Caterpillar.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a talented and highly motivated attorney to join a world-class legal team and work on complex and sophisticated matters for an iconic global company.
- Deliver legal counsel and support of Caterpillar’s U.S. business operations on a wide range of labor and employment matters, including issues involving the NLRA, FMLA, FLSA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, OFCCP and HR policy compliance
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility, and trust with human resources and business leadership, stakeholders, and legal colleagues across a global organization
- Collaborate with colleagues to provide strategic employment and labor law counsel and drive successful outcomes in complex and highly sensitive matters
- Handle inquiries, audits, investigations, and actions from government officials or agencies responsible for labor and employment regulation
- Identify and assess legal risks and new developments and advise internal business partners and leadership on development and implementation of new laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Provide legal training based on risk assessment, strategic objectives, and legal developments
- J.D. from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and ability to practice as in-house counsel in Illinois
- Minimum of 5 years of law firm and/or in-house experience in labor and employment matters
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with a commitment to integrity, professionalism, collegiality, and keeping stakeholders appropriately informed
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues and to influence others inside and outside the legal department to take specific actions
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams within legal, HR and business units
- Ability to manage multiple projects and effectively prioritize
- Demonstrated business acumen, ability to learn Caterpillar’s business and experience developing and recommending practical and strategic approaches to legal challenges facing business clients
- Ability to travel within the United States (up to 10%)
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Significant client counseling experience, including experience directly advising HR professionals and business leaders on labor and employment law matters
- Experience representing employers in traditional labor relations matters, including collective bargaining, contract
- Administration, labor arbitration, union organizing, union representation elections and defense of unfair labor practice cases
- Experience advising employers in traditional employment law matters, including employee discipline and discharge, performance management, employee separation agreements, reductions in force, leaves of absence, wage & hour, EEO charge proceedings and employment litigation
- Flexibility and eagerness to work on broad range of legal matters
- Demonstrated ability to effectively navigate and work efficiently in a matrix organization
- The primary location for this position is Peoria, IL
- Domestic relocation assistance is available for those who qualify
- Sponsorship is not available
- This posting will close at midnight on September 28, 2023
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world. Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)) along with the potential of an annual bonus. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
#LIRelocation is available for this position.Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.