Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators, and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes, and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
The Engineering Project Team Leader in this role is responsible for securing intellectual property rights for Caterpillar via robust agreements and acting as a risk advisor for protecting the intellectual property of Caterpillar, and those with whom we do business.
The successful candidate is responsible for both identifying key elements of, and protecting Caterpillar’s interest in, intellectual property in development and license transactions. Every transaction must be negotiated to enhance Caterpillar’s differentiation and to provide customer benefit. The successful candidate leads or participates in deal teams across a wide array of agreements including non-disclosure, supplier, joint development, patent or know-how license, and sponsored research. The leader develops creative deal structures and term sheets, analyzes business cases, and is an interface between the responsible business manager and the corporate attorney drafting the agreement.
They also serve as a risk advisor for technical information protection, both Caterpillar’s and confidential information of others entrusted to us. This role includes providing training, advocacy, and consultation to the engineering community regarding the need for IP protection.
It is also expected that this role will facilitate and manage the workflow processes for non-disclosure agreement requests, particularly business processes related to risk mitigation.
• Creates deal structures and IP terms that meet the needs of all the parties.
• Creates executive summaries and/or risk assessments of agreements for the signatory
• Accurately interprets legal language and conveys such to the parties
• Offers wording for, or actual redlines of, legal documents
• Adds velocity and sense of urgency to deal making
• Provides agreement solutions; addresses outstanding issues and concerns
• Works with IP terms in various legal agreements including: Non-Disclosure Agreements, Joint Development Agreements, University Sponsored Research Agreements, Government Contracts, Consulting Agreements, Evaluation Agreements, and License Agreements
• Creates IP protection thought leadership guidelines including enterprise procedures
• Actively trains internal organizations about the value of intellectual assets and the need to protect them. Actively assists business units with intellectual asset protection.
• Facilitates and maintains the non-disclosure agreement request workflow process, including in proactively engaging in risk mitigation where required through training and coaching where needed.
• Participates in workflow processes for agreements that require Executive Office approval, per EP 5:31
Technically competent - ability to understand and discuss technology with other parties, including the ability to clearly and simply explain technology to non-technical people
Organized - ability to manage many simultaneous agreements
Detail oriented - able to focus on the details of technology and agreements
Ablility to work independently & be persistent.
Able to facilitate & influence others from a non-supervisory advisor/leadership role
Build strategic relationships and operate as a trusted advisor
Able to concisely and clearly communicate to all levels & positions, inside and outside of Caterpillar.
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Technical or Business field
* 13+ years of relevant experience
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and be self-motivated
* Excellent communication & collaboration skills at all levels of the organization.
* Must have a strong customer focus and ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries.
Top Candidates will also have
* Experience negotiating or working on intellectual property agreements or valuations
* Experience working with external funding organizations including governments
* Extensive network within the engineering community
* Demonstrated innovative mindset and approach to problem solving
* Demonstrated technical competence across the breadth of Caterpillar products and technologies
* Influential ability to positively impact strategy & direction
* Experience of effectively facilitating groups of people
* Demonstrated ability to think strategically
The location for this position is Peoria, IL.
Domestic relocation assistance is available for this position.
This position may require up to 10% travel.
Employee benefit details
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers.
For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect with us on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.