Senior Mechanical Behavior and Test Engineer
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators, and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes, and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
Caterpillar’s Advanced Materials Technology organization currently has a need for a Senior Mechanical Behavior and Test Engineer working in the Mechanical Testing group at the Caterpillar Technical Center in Mossville, IL. This position will be responsible for creation of test and life data for Caterpillar components and provides technical consulting services to the enterprise to ensure the durability and performance that our customers expect from Cat products.
In this role, you will work closely with broad range of engineering teams to create and deliver test data of the highest quality and integrity to meet client technical requirements and timelines. The successful candidate will demonstrate creativity, run projects, with a sense of urgency, and will have technical expertise in mechanical behavior of materials, fatigue, physical testing, and data acquisition.
Sr. Engineers must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key skills to be developed at this level are data extraction/analysis, failure analysis and problem solving, application of simulation tools and methods, and practical application of theory and concepts.
Job Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluating the fatigue life and characterizing the mechanical behavior of components throughout Caterpillar's product line including components for engine, drivetrain, undercarriage, bolted joints, ground engaging tools, structures, and electrification.
- Collaborating with internal clients to establish project deliverables, budgets, and schedules.
- Creating and executing test plans, designing test fixturing, operating complex test and data acquisition equipment, performing data analysis, validating predictive models, and performing fracture mechanics analysis.
- Writing test instructions and working with lab technicians to direct day-to-day fatigue test activities and establishing priorities.
- Performing statistical analysis of test data and working with clients to turn test data into usable design data.
- Coordinating instrumentation, calibration, machining, fabrication, and maintenance work with other groups to ensure that project schedules are met.
- Directing work at external test labs when needed.
- Documenting all work thoroughly in technical reports and presentations.
- Establishing communications plans and providing frequent updates to clients.
- Contributing to the culture of safety and to the culture of technical excellence within the Advanced Materials Technology organization.
- Developing deep technical expertise on Caterpillar products and testing methods to provide consulting services to the enterprise.
- Staying abreast of new developments in the field related to test equipment, software, and analysis methods.
- Limited travel (<5%) to Caterpillar facilities, suppliers, and customer sites.
- Bachelor's degree in materials science & engineering, mechanical engineering, or closely related field with 5+ years of work experience.
- One year of work experience with a focus on mechanical testing, or other physical test and product validation environment.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in work group, as well as employees in other world-wide Caterpillar business units.
Top Candidates Will Have:
- Bachelor's degree in materials science & engineering, mechanical engineering, or closely related field with 9-12 years of work experience, Master’s degree with 6-8 years’ experience, or doctorate with 1-2 years’ experience
- Advanced degree in materials science & engineering, mechanical engineering, or closely related field.
- Graduate research work focused on, or at least including fatigue, fracture, or other mechanical testing.
- Five years of work experience with a focus on mechanical testing, or other physical test and product validation environment.
- The ability to effectively develop and manage complex project plans, starting with initial concept and ending with delivery of high-quality test data for product validation.
- Experience collaborating with global engineering teams.
- Prior experience with MTS or Instron test equipment.
- Experience with 3D CAD software, especially Creo.
- Bolted joint test or analysis experience.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong Interpersonal & communication skills
- Self-starter with good multitasking skills to optimize and deliver desired results under challenging requirements of quality and timeline.
The location for this position is Mossville, IL.
Domestic relocation assistance is available for this position.
This position will require less than 10% travel.
Employee benefit details
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers.
For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect with us on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.