CMA - Community Behavioral Health 6 West
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Certified Medical Assistant assists with the examination and treatment of patients under the directions of a physician or Registered Nurse (RN).
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through NHA or AAMA or NRCMA. upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivity. Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Clinical Excellence Focus:
- Promotes the use of evidence-based practice through the appropriate care protocols and procedures.
- Under the supervision of an RN, assesses patient's status through interview, observation and physical assessment of actual problems and outcomes.
- Assists the RN in the development of an individualized plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
- Implements appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomes.
- Systematically evaluates and documents patient's progress toward expected outcomes/goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shift as directed by RN.
- Modifies plan of care based on evaluation as directed by RN.
- Completes required documentation as appropriate, including patient charting and event reports.
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence-based practice.
- Shares clinical knowledge through informal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others.
- Performs select clinical duties, including but not limited to: Ensures that activity goals are met daily, Taking vital signs, Verifying and reconciling medical records/patient history/patient flowsheets, Completing patient admissions and starting the intake process, completing patient discharges, Drawing blood, Completes other duties as assigned by the nurse.
Work Environment & Culture Focus:
- Participates in interdisciplinary care of patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary.
- Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needs.
- Recognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources in a timely manner.
- Able to assume assignment of non-complex and some complex patient management with some turnover in assignment as directed by RN.
- Consistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptions.
- Identifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needs.
- Collaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomes.
- Provides goal-focused bedside shift report.
- Advocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessary.
- Utilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivity.
- Chooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others; gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers.
- Participates in intentional rounds, communicates any next level of care needs.
Performance Improvement Focus:
- Actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.
- Assures that the care provided is consistent with standards of care, evidence based practices, national patient safety goals, core measures and other quality initiatives undertaken by the unit/hospital, such as activity, basic hygiene and nutrition.
- Works with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfaction.
- Actively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction (patient, family, departments, physicians).
Participates in the implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
- Promptly and efficiently follows up on patient/family requests/needs - anticipates patient/family needs.
- Encourages coworkers in achieving excellent customer satisfaction; utilizes organizational service excellence standards.
- Identifies practice problems on the unit with solutions generated.
- Implements changes in own clinical practice based on literature and unit process improvement outcomes
Patient Education Focus:
- Adapts teaching strategies appropriately.