HCT - CPKH Med/Surg 4N
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
To facilitate the activities of a nursing unit through the effective performance of receptionist, transcriptionist, and clerical processes and/or to assist Registered Nurses in performing assigned patient care and unit maintenance activities. This position manages information and connects physicians, team members and visitors with appropriate resources.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other Carle Health facilities/hospitals.
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser.
- Performs Patient Care Activities as delegated by the Nurse utilizing applicable policies and procedures to ensure patient needs and expectations are met.Knowledgeable and skilled in applicable procedures in providing care.Provides hygiene needs of assigned patients (AM/PM care, oral hygiene and denture care, perineal care, shampoo, bathing, shaving, care of TED/SCD hose.)Provides nutritional needs of assigned patients. (Tray distribution, setting up trays, offering supplements, feeding, adding tube feeding and recording intake.)Provides elimination needs of assigned patient. (Foley care, bowel movements, bladder training, enemas, and external catheters; records output.)Provides skin care of assigned patients. (turning, positioning, recognition and prevention of skin breakdown, operation of special beds, nail care, and back rubs.)Provides comfort measures (Proper positioning, back rubs, oral care, wrinkle free bed sheets and ensuring that bedside table, water pitcher, urinal are within reach.)Provides activity needs of assigned patients (i.e. dangling, turning, chair, ambulating, walker, and crutches).Performs measurements of assigned patients (I&O,TPR, B/P, weights, empty drains, abdominal girth, hose measurements).Performs additional skills as directed and supervised by the nurse, after training and certification, i.e. intermittent urinary catheterization and clean dressing changes (varies by unit or area).Assists with admission, transfer, and discharge of patient.Completes assigned aspects of admission process including vital signs, height and weight, room setup, room orientation, assists patient to bed, assures call light available etc.Sets up equipment for care (IV poles, admission kit, others)Stores and transfers belongings (dentures, hearing aids, glasses and other personal items).Packs up all patient belongings at discharge.Achieves patient satisfaction when providing patient care.Makes rounds minimally every two hours to assure that patients are comfortable, positioned properly, call light available, room orderly.Patient needs are met and satisfaction of care is expressedDemonstrates ability to anticipate patient needsAnswers all call lights promptlyRespects privacyReports pertinent patient information to the nurse assigned to the patient in a timely manner.Documentation is completed prior to leaving shift.Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.Performs patient bedside lab testing and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider's orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
- Performs activities efficiently and accurately to facilitate quality patient care and ensure a safe and efficiently operating unit.Completes care while conserving resources.Completes work within assigned shift.Overtime used only as requested by Director/Nurse Manager/Lead RN/House Supervisor.Prevents waste of supplies and linen.Checks patient room for unused equipment/supplies and returns to SPD promptly.Assists with patient lifting in a timely manner.Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize work with changes as directed by the nurse.Uses slow time to improve unit appearance and accept additional assignments.Assists others in assignment completion.Willingly responds to requests by nursing staff accepting delegated duties from the RN or LPN.Performs unit maintenance duties.Maintains neat and safe patient environment, including bedside table, bathrooms, wastebaskets, bedpans and specipans.Completes assigned maintenance tasks such as: cleaning of kitchen, refrigerators, utility room, IV poles, carts, making charts, and distributing SPD items.Ensures adequate stock of BSI supplies in all rooms.Performs errands as requested.Knowledgeable of locations of various support areas.Responds promptly to urgent requests.Provides for safety measures of assigned patients (lift equipment, transfers, side rails, bed checks, call lights, gait belt use, back safety, slide board, use of