LPN- Cardiac Med/Surg
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients through the application of the nursing process.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Current licensure in good standing in the State of Illinois upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivity. Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
- CLINICAL EXCELLENCE FOCUS: Promotes the use of evidence based practice through the nursing process, protocols and procedures.Under the supervision of an RN, assesses patient's status through interview, observation and physical assessment of actual problems and outcomesAssists the RN in the development of an individualized plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.Uses appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to achieve expected patient outcomesSystematically evaluates and documents patient's progress toward expected outcomes/goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shiftModifies plan of care based on evaluationCompletes required documentation as appropriate, including patient chart and event reportsDemonstrates professional accountability for own practice as evidenced through seeking resources and continuing self-developmentDemonstrates technical knowledge of equipment and troubleshoots when problems ariseAcquires and maintains current knowledge and skills in evidence based nursing practicePromotes the professional development of self and team membersShares clinical knowledge through informal teaching and in response to the learning needs of others.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT & CULTURE FOCUS: Participates in interdisciplinary care of the patient through collaboration with team members and utilizes additional resources when necessary.Analyzes clinical situations in a systematic way and acts to obtain resources or correct problems to meet or exceed expected outcomes or patient needsRecognizes need for assistance and utilizes resources, including physician and nurse to nurse (UAT) consultation in a timely mannerDemonstrates ownership and persistence to ensure problem is resolved in best way possible.Able to assume assignment of non-complex and some complex patient management with some turnover in assignmentConsistently prioritizes work based on changes in patient condition, changes in assignment and unanticipated interruptionsIdentifies and utilizes team resources to solve identified problems or needsCollaborates with the health care team in the organization of tasks and activities for the patient's care from admission to discharge according to the plan of care and to meet identified expected outcomesWorks with other team members in delegating tasks and activities appropriatelyProvides goal-focused shift reportAdvocates with physicians on patient's behalf when necessaryUtilizes communication and teamwork strategies aimed at promoting high team performance and achieving optimal patient outcomes and unit productivityChooses an appropriate and meaningful communication style when interacting with others; gives and accepts constructive feedback to/from peers.
- PATIENT EDUCATION FOCUS: Adapts teaching strategies appropriately to meet the patient's/family's age specific needs.Adapts teaching strategies based on patient's response, readiness to learn and level of comprehensionTakes cultural, age-specific, gender, and developmental factors into consideration when teaching patients about procedures, illness, hospital experience, etc.Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety GoalsConsults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized educationUtilizes SVI patient education system and other resources for patients and family members
- PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT FOCUS: Actively participates in data collection, analysis, problem solving and gives input on process improvements and patient satisfaction.Assures that the care provided is consistent with standards of care, evidence based practices, national patient safety goals, core measures and other quality initiatives undertaken by the unit/hospitalWorks with interdisciplinary team in identifying opportunities for improvement in patient care and patient/family satisfactionActively promotes and achieves customer satisfaction.