Instrument Technician- CMH Sterilization
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
To facilitate the daily operations of Surgical Services by ensuring instruments and related accessories are appropriate to meet department needs.
- Referral Bonuses (once hired)
- Shift & Weekend Differentials available.
- Benefits available from day 1 for qualified employees.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other Carle Health facilities/hospitals.
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivityCritical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
- Organized and coordinates the daily flow of instruments/medical devices and accessories to ensure appropriate availability. * Prioritizes and provides appropriate instruments for assigned area(s).* Prioritizes reprocessing activities to ensure multiple case needs are met.* Provides appropriate and functional substitutions as situations warrant.* Responds to requests in a timely and appropriate manner.* Demonstrates flexibility, speed, and fluidity in response to rapidly changing needs.* Anticipates and meets need to ensure cases are not delayed.* Collaborates with staff to ensure availability of instruments and supplies.* Decontaminates items using appropriate technique and speed. Follows manufacturer's instructions.* Follows established procedures for care and handling of instruments.* Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of scheduled work-hours, which include after-hours, weekends and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical instruments, surgical intervention, principles of aseptic and sterilization technique. * Demonstrates functional use of a variety of complex instrument systems.* Demonstrates a working knowledge of the relationship of a variety of instruments to surgical procedures.* Operates reprocessing/sterilization equipment (sterilizers, aerators, ultrasonic, etc.)* Identifies procedure specific needs and initiates action to ensure those needs are met.* Demonstrates working knowledge of complimentary instrumentation.* Assembles routine and complex instrument sets with speed and accuracy using established procedures.* Wraps and prepares instruments for sterilization. * Performs all sterilization/disinfection monitoring.* Uses manufacturer's instructions throughout all phases of reprocessing.* Helps conduct educational sessions for staff growth and competency related to instruments.* Documents appropriately, legibly and timely (includes all dates).* Labels instruments/supplies accurately
- Utilizes an instrument inventory control system that ensures appropriate instruments are readily available. * Collaborates with surgical technologists, registered nurses, and surgical instrument lead to ensure appropriate functional resources are available.* Monitors integrity of instruments to reduce loss and/or damage.* Prioritizes sterilization activities for appropriate quantity and availability of instruments.* Maintains appropriate sterile instrument availability, both sets and single items.* Identifies barriers to effective and efficient resource utilization and initiates corrective action.
- Monitors care and maintenance of instruments to ensure compliance with standard practice. * Monitors reprocessing process to ensure appropriate handling of instruments.* Monitors sterilization processes to ensure compliance with standards.* Collaborates with other team members to develop and revise practice patterns as needed.* Identifies opportunities for improvement and initiates corrective action and/or refers appropriately.* Demonstrates accuracy of tray assembly to ensure customer satisfaction and quality standards are met.* Inspects instruments for defects and follows instrument repair process.* Teaches staff appropriate care and handling of instruments.* Teaches staff appropriate instrument assembly technique and sterilization monitors procedures.* Identifies educational needs based on observations, feedback, problems and opportunities.* Assists with product evaluation such as different accessories.* Problem solves and follows through on issues with positive resolution.* Maintains an employee/patient safe environment - wears PPE