Surg Tech - CMH Labor & Delivery
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
Provides surgical technology to direct and indirect care and service. Assist surgeon, perform operative/invasive procedures.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Required English Skills Basic reading skillsBasic writing skillsBasic oral skillsCommunication Skills Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-workerInteraction with a wide variety of peopleMaintain confidential informationAbility to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal informationAbility to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanorComputer Skills Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
- Preparation for surgeon specific operative/invasive procedure that's timely accurate, effective and efficient.* Ensures instruments, equipment and suture are appropriate, complete and functional.* Sets up sterile field and is scrubbed prior to induction.* Sets up case so that another can step in back table and mayo organized.* Has appropriate "have available" items.* Uses resources wisely, avoids unnecessary opening.* Motions are fluid and not redundant.* Sets up time for a variety of case types is within acceptable range.* Aware of and prepares for case needs, i.e. two mayos.* Collaborates with surgeon prior to case and adjusts as necessary
- Scrubs on simple to complex procedures for a variety of specialties.* Able to "run mayo" independently.* Aware of surgeon's technique and preferences.* Adapts style to match surgeon and procedure.* Confident and competent during routing and emergency procedures.* Prepares for sequencing i.e. clamp cut tie.* Anticipates and provides appropriate equipment so that attention need not be diverted from the operative field.* Attentive to case, pays attention to subtle cues and responds appropriately.* Proactively identifies needs; averts need to have someone run for things.* Observes technique of self and others and intervenes appropriately.* Performs in first scrub, first assist, second scrub, second circulator.* Performs case closing activities such as dressing application, transfer and turnover.
- Plans, anticipates and provides for expected and unexpected intraop events.* Anticipates and provides appropriate and timely intervention for intraop case change.* E.g. lap to open, uncontrolled bleeding, perforation.* Actions and behavior are calm, confident, steady.* Prepares for the unexpected and uses resources wisely.* Anticipates problem prone and/or high risk procedures and provides for needs.* Observes for induction and maintain quiet.* Protects patient privacy by own actions and reminds others.
- Communicates and collaborates with others.* Counts are timely and actions reflect clear understanding of the dual responsibility with circulating RN.* Communicates needs nonverbal and verbally in a timely and appropriate manner: urgent vs. routine.* Articulates priority of needs clearly.* Listens and observes for; cues indicating changing needs.* Conversation is appropriate for setting.* Addresses issues/ concerns appropriately.* Contributes to successful unit operations by integrating individual efforts with unit needs, goals and objectives.* Participates in required call.* Flexible with respect to assigned area(s).* Assists others as needed or requested.* Actions and behaviors foster team; shares knowledge and ideas.* Attempts to resolve conflicts constructively.* Performs a variety of activities to ensure an efficient effective unit.* Participates in quality improvement efforts.* Actions and behaviors promote positive work environment.