Supervisor Patient Access
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
This position is responsible for supervision of Patient Access on an assigned campus and/or designated registration hub(s). Responsibilities include completing error tracking, monitoring staff productivity, and holding staff accountable for completing registration and cashier functions with accuracy in an efficient and effective manner. Responsible for monitoring staff compliance for following all regulations that impact Patient Access and cashier functions. Holds staff accountable for an exceptional Patient Experience. Assists Manager Patient Access or Assistant Manager Patient Access with coordination of the training and job performance of employees who report to this position. Responsible for maintaining the staff schedule for assigned registration areas and ensuring coverage to meet patient demand. Successful fulfillment of these responsibilities will promote a motivated staff and contribute toward a prompt and accurate attainment of department and Health System objectives.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Valid State of Illinois driver's license required upon hire.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS 2 years of experience in Patient Access or related experience.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates the ability to multi-task and work in an organized, efficient, and process-oriented manner.
- Exhibits excellent oral communication skills and the ability to interact with customers and team members with diverse education, lifestyle and backgrounds in accordance to the affiliates mission and vision.
- Possesses good problem-solving skills in reasoning through work related issues.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to change.
- Keyboarding skills.
- Coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiencies with little or no supervision.
- Knowledge of federal (HIPAA) and state regulatory guidelines in release of medical record information.
- Prior experience working with an electronic health record and document imaging system.
Management and Leadership
- Assist managers with all human resource functions for Patient Access including screening, hiring scheduling and evaluating staff as well as mentoring, coaching, disciplining and terminating staff using established company policy.
- Provides departmental leadership, communication, planning and problem-solving skills for Patient Access and Revenue Cycle processes
- Responsible for overseeing the day to day workflow of the office including the review of staffing needs and supervision and training of staff in good customer relations and office procedures.
- Ensure that the daily operations are run effectively and efficiently by streamlining processes and managing workload.
- Responsible for ensuring staff are following all established processes to ensure comprehensive and accurate completion of job duties.
- Continuously identify process improvement areas, recommend changes, and implement accordingly.
- Responsible for schedules and staffing of team members including monitoring timecards, timecard corrections, and identifying gap staffing coverage
- Make recommendations for operational changes, staffing alignment changes, budgetary allowances, etc.
- Establish effective mechanisms of communication with team members, patients, Carle Health affiliate personnel to foster an environment, of openness, trust, teamwork and staff development.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal management of operation through the elimination of waste.
- Under the supervision of Patient Access Manager, coordinates and plans staff meetings and huddles for assigned campus and/or registration hubs.
- Responsible for all aspects of hiring, interviewing and selecting staff for assigned registration areas.
- Monitors productivity and errors of staff.
- Recommends and implements training based on these reports.
- Monitors daily activity and productivity, recommending adjustments to staff responsibilities to meet department goals.
- Works with the leadership to develop an effective training program for new staff and ongoing training for existing staff.
- Completes annual performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Provides computer support to team members.
- Assist team members with daily duties as needed.
- Management of Patient Access Team.
- Serves in system administrator roles for Insurance Payers, Kronos, DCR tracker and other systems as needed.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to the Patient Access department for area assigned by leadership.
- Act as a go-to person for other departments and assist them with their Patient Access questions and concerns.
- Provide appropriate training to providers and other departments for assigned area.
- Have basic knowledge of all tasks of the Patient Access department and assist the staff when needed.
- Monitor reports and data to ensure assigned area is meeting department goals and key performance indicators.
- Assist with physician questions, suggestions and complaints.
- Monitor equipment to assure proper functioning. Contact appropriate department to repair equipment when needed.
- Actively participates in any system assigned Patient Access teams/meetings.