Supervisor - Inpatient Coding
People & HR, Operations
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
Reports to the HIM Coding Manager and is responsible for coordinating and directing activities related to coding of individual patient health information for data retrieval, analysis, and claims processing. Assures revenue integrity and quality of coding through supervision of either the professional, hospital inpatient and/or hospital outpatient coding processes. Position is responsible for ensuring these areas meet all the facility required standards for productivity and accuracy. Responsible for monitoring work flows; including measuring and managing performance indicators and key functions in the department to maintain business objectives. HIM Coding Supervisors assists HIM Coding Managers with budget preparation, staffing decisions, development and implantation of strategic goals for the coding areas. Assists in preparing a variety of recurring reports, and special projects and other duties as assigned. Provides daily staff supervision and scheduling to ensure the effective and efficient operations of the department while promoting customer satisfaction. Serves as an expert coder and the knowledge base for questions related to inpatient, professional or hospital outpatient coding. Responsible for maintaining the daily coding work flow to minimize coding backlogs.
Associate's Degree in Healthcare or related field
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Registered Health Information Admin (AHIMA) upon hire or Registered Health Information Tech (AHIMA) upon hire or Certified Coding Specialist (AHIMA) upon hire or Certified Coding Specialist Physician Based upon hire or Certified Professional Coder (AAPC) upon hire or Certified Inpatient Coder (AAPC) upon hire or Certified Outpatient Coder (AAPC) upon hire.
Three (3) years coding/health information experience.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Thorough understanding of hospital inpatient and outpatient coding or physician professional fee coding and related software applications such as APC groupers and encoders. Knowledge of federal requirements for coding. Interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff and providers from a variety of departments. Is able to work independently, flexible and adapts well to changes. Demonstrates initiative, independently taking proactive steps toward problem resolution. Able to gather facts and assess all perspectives in order to influence positive outcomes. Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required.
- Ensures team members under their supervision are adequately trained and are competent to perform all required job tasks.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions for hires, promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures. Initiates and completes staff performance evaluations.
- Assists employees in solving work related issues including software and connectivity issues.
- Reviews operational performance and employee audit results and manages team toward achieving performance metrics related to quality, productivity and turn around time
- Schedules team members to assure coverage for all coding areas.
- Serves as Carle expert on CPT and ICD coding and answers team member coding question and assists with auditing team members as needed.
- Analyzes regulatory information and materials for impact on the hospital environment, identifies affected functions, and works with them to implement changes.
- In collaboration with manager (or director) conducts regularly scheduled meetings with staff, facilitates and collaborates on initiatives within the department, enterprise wide and with external entities.
- Endorses and performs all required tasks associated with the Carle Experience such as, but not limited to, regular rounding on staff and completion of all reports needed to have meaningful and productive monthly meetings with the manager (or director)
- In collaborations with the manager (or director) prepares and follows annual budgets
- Supports manager (or director) by interpreting and analyzing financial data to identify and monitor performance and establish benchmarks for the department
- Trains staff as needed and develops cross training matrix to assure Carle's coding team has the skill set needed to cover all coding areas.
- Creates, updates and maintains all department policies and procedures to ensure best practices are enforced and adhered to
- Ensures quality and productivity is measured on a regular basis. Works closely with Coordinators to stay on schedule with coding audits and productivity metrics as well as timely responses to CDI queries.
- Attends meetings as required by one up leader, including provider meetings as needed.
- Reviews policies and procedures related to HIM coding for accuracy yearly
- In collaboration with manager (or director) establishes goals for coding productivity and quality
- Assures HIM team members who work from home follow appropriate work from home policies and audits as necessary to assure compliance