Pekin, IL, USA
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
Reports to the Nurse Manager and according to department policies, nursing care standards and professional licensure; functions as a member of the patient care team to provide professional nursing care services to patients with a wide variety of medical and surgical conditions that are admitted/transferred to the Unit.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the State of Illinois. upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other facilities/hospitals.
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivity.Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
- Performs direct patient care.* Conducts patient assessment obtaining appropriate history, physical and complaint data. Analyzes assessment data and observes patient's condition. Evaluates patient for age appropriate behavior, motor skills and physiologic norms. Conveys pertinent information to RN or physician.* Demonstrates accuracy and efficiency when preparing injections, diagnostic procedures and therapeutic treatments as instructed by the physician for assessments and treatments completed in the department.* Displays compassion and patience when administering patient assessments, procedures, treatments, patient instruction and education. * Utilizes skills and expertise to serve as a partner with nurse and physician to augment patient care, patient flow and physician productivity. * Responds appropriately when alarms sound; silences alarms only as necessary for patient care and returns to audible when done.
- Performs indirect patient care.* Recognizes abnormal lab and other clinical values and calls to attention of physician as soon as possible.* Maintains adequate daily stock of sterile instruments, clinical supplies, forms, meds, and educational materials in exam rooms and nursing area.* Accurately and thoroughly completes lab requisitions and labeling of specimens. Properly packages specimens and assures transfer to lab in a timely fashion.* Maintains complete and accurate patient chart with up-to-date and correct medication list.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding and working knowledge of all equipment necessary to perform job functions. Performs and documents special procedures per policy:* application of heat/cold* decubitus care* pelvic exam setup* I & D setup* surgical skin prep* apply ace/TEDS/binders* apply/remove leads* assist coughing & deep breathing* assist with physical exam* oral suctioning* nasopharyngeal suctioning* maintain and clean suction equipment* application of hypo/hyperthermia unit* care of oxygen equipment.* room set-up for trauma* suture set-up* moderate sedation set-up* patient prep for any procedure* Demonstrates a practical problem solving approach to patient moving and handling issues.* Demonstrates skills to promote patient and staff safety through appropriate use of lift equipment.