Respiratory Therapist-Registered- CPRH Respiratory Care
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
As a health care professional, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, managing the processes involved in performing respiratory therapy, ventilator management, ECG, oxygen administration and airway management
Associate's Degree in in a CoARC or CoARTE approved Respiratory Care Program
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)(NBRC) Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) or the Canadian Board of Respiratory Care (CBRC). upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. upon hire and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Must possess and maintain current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification within 6 months and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) Must possess and maintain NRP (excludes PRN staff). within 6 months.
Experience in/with skills in respiratory therapy, ventilator management, electrocardiogram, oxygen administration and airway management. A basic knowledge of Pulmonary and Cardiovascular anatomy and physiology
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Required English Skills Basic reading skillsBasic writing skillsBasic oral skillsCommunication Skills Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-workerInteraction with a wide variety of peopleMaintain confidential informationAbility to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal informationAbility to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanorComputer Skills Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
- PERFORMS PATIENT CARE ACTIVITIES TO INCLUDE ALL FORMS OF RESPIRATORY THERAPY, NON-INVASIVE CARDIOLOGY, AND OTHER ASSIGNED DUTIES UTILIZING APPLICABLE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.* Interprets and executes physician orders* Demonstrates the ability to individualize therapy to meet the patient's need* Demonstrates the ability to anticipate the patient needs* Demonstrates the ability to calculate medication dosages* Performs patient education* Performs all duties in an efficient and timely manner* Notify leader of respiratory care, nursing supervisor, or unit leader of any inappropriate patient care issues* Documents all medication and patient care errors* Uses protective equipment appropriately* Performs intubations and change tracheostomy tubes as assigned* Practices good body mechanics, getting assistance as needed to protect patient and own safety* Remains alert and responsive to all alarms/call lights* Follows proper hand washing and infection control between patients and procedures* Performs testing in a manner that ensures accurate results.* Maintains a clean work area, checks and stocks supplies in their specific area.* Performs oxygen rounds* Performs accurate DAU and BAT testing as assigned. ( Methodist only)* Responds to all pages and requests in a timely manner* Performs home care instructions and arrange for home oxygen, nebulizer, and/or suction equipment* Responds to emergency situations, RRT calls and codes immediately* Remains calm and effective in emergency and/or stressful situations* Ensures patient safety in the hospital environment by following policy/procedures and adhering to National Patient Safety Goals* Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to obtain adequate lab specimens for testing.* Performs patient bedside lab testing (ABGs) and associated quality control in compliance with medical provider's orders and hospital lab procedures/policies.
- PERFORMS VENTILATOR MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE* Maintains knowledgeable of all modes of ventilation and a weaning modalities* Responds promptly to urgent needs* Uses protective equipment appropriately* Participates in patient rounds with physicians if assigned* Performs ventilator checks every 2 hours and PRN* Sets appropriate ventilator alarms within recommended parameters* Educates students and other health professionals about ventilator functions* Documents ventilator settings and patient information accurately* Acts as patient advocate* Practices appropriate patient assessment skills to evaluate patient needs* Contacts physicians to improve patient care* Contacts physicians concerning ventilator settings* Collaborates with appropriate healthcare worker concerning patient care issues* Sets-up, verifies proper function, operates, and monitors ventilators, BIPAP and CPAP
- MAINTAINS ACCURATE DOCUMENTATION AND ACCURATE COMPUTER ENTRY* Completes documentation of all therapy, ventilator, and oxygen* Completes documentation on all internal forms* Documents complete and accurate charge entry daily* Completes accurate information on all ECGs* Performs editing of ECGs accurately when assigned* Documents on all diagnostic tests
- ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS/HER ONGOING PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT* Learns the functions of all new equipment* Learns new procedures* Knowledgeable of departmental policies and procedures* Completes all mandatory education within the stated timeframe* Attends educational offerings to validate skills* Maintain current knowledge of all equipment* Maintain current license* Maintain current credentials * Acts as a resource person for others* Participates in clinical instruction of students and other healthcare workers