Reference Laboratory Technician- CMH Laboratory
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The Reference lab technician has primary responsibility of assuring reference lab specimens are transported, registered, properly ordered, labeled, and meet integrity for testing as well as support for other duties as assigned.
- Referral Bonuses (once hired)
- Shift & Weekend Differentials available.
- Benefits available from day 1 for qualified employees.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Valid IL Driver's License upon hire.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Required English Skills Basic reading skillsBasic writing skillsBasic oral skillsCommunication Skills Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-workerInteraction with a wide variety of peopleMaintain confidential informationAbility to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal informationAbility to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanorComputer Skills Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.
- Ensure timely and accurate registration of patient orders by transcribing and processing demographic, financial and clinical information.* Correctly identified and registers patients based on the information provided by the client.* Correctly identifies and Maintains competency on insurance plans.* Accurately enters necessary registration, medical, financial and demographic information for Laboratory Reference Patients received from outside clients.* Consistently processes and enters all eligibility responses in Epic.* Accurately scans available documents into EMR for proper hospital records keeping.* Accurately enters orders in HLAB for testing to be done.* Accurately releases orders for Epic Ambulatory clients.
- Prioritizes, anticipates, and provides timely and accurate registrations in order to ensure efficient and effective workflow.* Adjusts sequence of registration based on departmental need.* Identifies potential problems and imitates corrective action.* When following up with a client and/or patient, all Methodist values and Practice Always behaviors are demonstrated.* Specimens are processed within a minimal time frame to ensure specimens are processed in a timely manner once received into the laboratory.* Ability to use provided tools to review specimens tracking information, client information, and testing requirements.
- Develops and maintains job knowledge to preform job duties.* Attends required training updates on computer system, insurance updates, and patient registration updates* Seeks and willingly accepts assignments and broadening of job scope.* Effectively utilized resources and opportunities, seeking clarification when necessary.* Willingness and ability to train and support peers and new employees; Practices service always behaviors with other staff members.* Is receptive and supportive of change.* Learns rapidly and adapts quickly to change.* Notifies customers of delays in transport* Properly stores specimens according to protocol
- Vehicle Use and Procurement and transportation of specimens, supplies, and mail.* Maintains an acceptable motor vehicle record.* Successful completion and annual maintenance of Methodist Driver Safety Training.* Each driver is responsible for the proper use and care of the vehicle in their possession.* Follows established protocol if involved in an accident.* Potential to drive up to 225 miles in both urban and rural settings and in all types of weather.* Performs designated routes for specimen transportation with efficiency, maintaining scheduled stops in the allotted time period.* Adjusts routes as necessary to meet client needs.* Cooperates with co-workers to ensure routes run smoothly during transition from one courier to the next courier.* Places utmost importance on customer service for all routes.* Ensures Specimens and requisitions are together for transport* Enters Tracing information accurately and efficiently into mobile hand held.* Correctly identifies and enters specimen pickups/deliveries to ensure 100% specimen tracking.* Verifies all specimens have arrived at Lab at the return of a route.* Transports laboratory and hospital related items to clients and departments accurately and promptly.