RN Navigator Cancer Center- CMH Oncology Navigation
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
Oncology Nurse Navigators provide resources, support, assessments, referrals, education, care coordination and general guidance throughout the cancer care continuum. They help people "navigate" through the maze of doctors' offices, clinics, hospitals outpatient centers, insurance and payment systems, patient-support organizations and other components of the health care system. Services are designed to support timely delivery of quality standard cancer care and ensure that patients, survivors and families are satisfied with their encounters with the cancer care system. Navigators promote communication between the patient and health care providers, eliminate barriers to care, and ensure timely delivery of services. Once a patient is in the navigation system, it is the navigator's responsibility to monitor that patient through the continuum from screening to survivorship.
Bachelor's Degree in Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) within five (5) years of start date.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Registered Professional Nurse (RN) License upon hire and Basic Life Support (BLS) upon hire.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
- Work may occasionally require travel to other Carle Health facilities/hospitals.
- Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Required English Skills Advanced reading skillsAdvanced writing skillsAdvanced oral skillsCommunication SkillsAbility to respond appropriately to customer/co-workerInteraction with a wide variety of peopleMaintain confidential informationAbility to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal informationAbility to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanorComputer Skills Intermediate computer knowledge: Ability to troubleshoot minor problems within a Windows OS, operates within a network environment, uses spreadsheet, database, word processing and internet applications proficiently. Learns new applications without difficulty and is able to aid others in immediate work area with computer questions.
- * Navigators provide education and support to patients, caregivers, families, healthcare professionals, communities, etc. * Provides education to patients, families, providers, caregivers, multidisciplinary colleagues and the community about cancer and the role of the oncology nurse navigator * Serves as primary contact and advocate for patients * Provides support for patients across the cancer continuum * Acts as a liaison among the patient, family, caregivers, and healthcare team * Practices evidence-based processes including use of clinical guidelines and specialty resources * Educates and assess patients' understanding of the disease process and treatment options required for informed decisions * Assists patients with their treatment goals * Provides comprehensive documentation of patient encounters, education and referrals * Provides and reinforce education in all phases of cancer continuum including, but not limited to: treatment, care plan, symptom management and survivorship concerns * Educates and reinforce the issue of adherence to the treatment plan * Develops oncology-related education materials * Possesses clinical trial awareness and promote trial types and requirements, and engage with research team as appropriate * Understands criteria for molecular testing and genetic counseling * Maintains current trends and evidence through lifelong learning with continuing education and evidence-based practice * Discusses physician visits with patients and families to assess understanding, interpret information as needed, and answer questions * Contributes to the knowledge base of the healthcare community through involvement in professional organizations, presentations, publications and research * Empowers patients with education and knowledge to help improve patient outcomes and satisfaction * Attends community health fairs and screenings; provides community education presentations as appropriate * Facilitates/participates/attends support groups and family/patient center programs, as appropriate * Provides patient information on available services, community resources, and/or support groups. * Contacts provider offices to establish check and balance of referrals * Possesses a basic understanding of insurance (co-pays, deductibles, co-insurance) * Contacts patient at diagnosis, high stress points, pre- and post-surgery, time of initiation of therapy and any other flag touch point * Meets with patient by phone or in person "within designated time" following "designated event" and follow patient per navigator- or facility- specific guidelines
- * Facilitate and coordinate timely care coordination throughout the cancer continuum in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team. * Facilitates keeping care in the system by identifying opportunities to retain diagnostic testing, radiation oncology services, etc. * Communicates with ancillary departments to define and resolve specific problem areas and ensure timely delivery of patient care, including but not limited to diagnosis and treatment * Contacts patient at diagnosis, high stress points, pre- and post-surgery, time of initiation of therapy and any other flag touch point * Coordinates and schedules appointments with providers to ensure timely delivery of diagnostic services, treatment services, and appropriate survivorship or hospice/palliative care * Accompanies patients to appointments (particularly if there are multiple barriers to care) and/or providing clarification and literacy-level-appropriate education related to the visit * Assists with the post-treatment transition to survivorship clinic and/or primary care * Collaborates & communicates frequently and consistently with providers & other appropriate healthcare team members, ensuring seamless plan of care and follow-up care * Ensures timely delivery of test results to patient by a care team member.