RN Supervisor- Proctor & Methodist
People & HR, Operations
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
To facilitate and coordinate patient care services on the evening and night shifts, responding supportively to the needs of internal and external customers.
Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must obtain a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) within (5) years of start date.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) within 6 months and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 6 months.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivity. Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
- Assists staff, both directly and indirectly, by providing support, guidance and effective problem solving in a variety of crises, including personnel and staffing issues, code blue, and others.* Promptly accessible, throughout shift, to staff and Switchboard via phone or beeper.* Activity assists staff in problem resolution, developing their problem-solving skills in the process.* Assesses utilization and reception of float help.* Promptly and effectively contributes to Code Blue Team efforts.* Makes frequent rounds during which:* Demonstrates sensitivity to staff's current situation* Interactions are purposeful (address need for information, encouragement, etc.)* Offers specific assistance, i.e., answer lights, IV therapy, intervene with problem patients, direct care delivery, clerical assistance, etc.* Provides expertise in a consultative role.
- Supports line managers by providing, clarifying and/or reinforcing information regarding values, policies, procedures, and current organizational events, practices, or issues.* Promptly communicates significant issues/concerns regarding patient care delivery or unit personnel to Nurse Manager and Director.* Offers assistance and follows with concerns on the shift.* Supports strategies in unit development or system changes.* Consistently demonstrates and openly reinforces the values and standards of the department and organization.
- Ensures effective deployment and/or reallocation of available staff based on patient care needs and unit staffing plans.* Completes any needed reallocation in a timely manner.* Staffing decisions are congruent with unit staffing plans/targets and patient care needs.* Staffing variances are identified by fact.* Collaborates as appropriate with lead nurses to understand patient care needs.* Staff (especially lead nurses) has confidence their input is respected and considered in difficult staffing decisions.* Evaluates affected units for results/impact.* Communicates complex staffing decisions and rationale to Nurse Manager and Director.
- Acts as on-site administrator, maintains current knowledge of clinical issues, policies and procedures.* Knows and uses available resources.* Handles concerns using sound judgement.* Applies policies and procedures and deviates from policies and procedures appropriately; deviations are explainable and supportable.* Reports significant information, observations, or issues to responsible Director and/or Vice President. Promptly receives, investigates (to the extent appropriate), and documents PRIDE calls, communicating with Nurse Manager and Director.* Maintains and is familiar with resources in Nursing Office and Medical Center.* Keeps abreast of changes in policies and procedures.* Uses Administrator-on-Call appropriately.* Maintains clinical knowledge and skills to serve as resource to staff and contribute to their development.* Maintains required certifications, CPR, ACLS and house competencies.