Surgical Technologist- Methodist Surgery
Peoria, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
- Referral Bonuses (once hired)
- Shift & Weekend Differentials available.
- Benefits available from day 1 for qualified employees.
- Provides surgical technology expertise to deliver both direct and indirect care and service in surgical settings.
- Assists surgeons during operative and invasive procedures, ensuring the availability and proper use of surgical instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrates proficiency in surgical techniques, maintaining a sterile environment, and anticipating the needs of the surgical team.
- Serves as a valuable resource for other technologists, offering guidance, sharing knowledge, and providing support.
- Takes on the responsibility of training new technologists, helping them develop the necessary skills and knowledge for their roles.
- Applies advanced knowledge and skills gained through certification to ensure superior patient care and safety during surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates professionalism, integrity, and empathy in all interactions with colleagues, patients, and healthcare professionals.
- Takes on additional responsibilities as needed to support the surgical team's success and deliver optimal patient outcomes.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Basic Life Support (BLS) within 30 days.
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position
- Work may occasionally require travel to other facilities/hospitals.
- requireduired to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email, and web browser. Multicultural sensitivityCritical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
- Preparation for surgeon specific operative/invasive procedures that's timely, accurate effective and efficient.* Instruments equipment and suture are appropriate, complete and functional.* Sets up sterile field and is scrubbed prior to patent entering the room* Sets up case so that another can step into an organized back table and mayo.* Have appropriate items.* Uses resources wisely, avoids unnecessary opening.* Motions are fluid and not redundant.* Set up time for a variety of case types is within acceptable range.* Aware of and is prepared for case needs, i.e. two mayo's.* Collaborates with surgeon prior to case and adjusts as necessary.* Precept surgical techs and RNs to prepare for surgeon specific procedures.
- Scrubs on simple to complex procedures for a variety of specialties.* Able to run mayo independently.* Aware of surgeon's techniques and preferences.* Adapts style to match surgeon and procedures.* Confident and competent during routine and emergency procedures.* Is prepared for sequencing, i.e. clamp, cut, tie.* Anticipates and provides so that attention needs not be diverted from the operative field.* Attentive to case, pays attention to subtle cues and responds appropriately.* Pro-active identification of needs: averts need to have someone run for things.* Observe technique of self and others and intervenes appropriately.* Performs in first scrub, first assist and second scrub roles.* Performs case closing activities such as dressing application, transfer and turnover.* Teach RNs to scrub on a variety of cases.
- Plans, anticipates and provides for expected and unexpected intra-op events. * Anticipates and provides appropriate and timely intervention for intra-op case change. E.g. lap to open, uncontrolled bleeding, perforation.* Actions and behavior are calm, confident, and steady.* Is prepared for the unexpected and uses resources wisely.* Anticipates problem prone and/or high risk procedures and provides for needs.* Observes for induction and maintain quiet.* Protects patient privacy by own actions and reminds others.* Precept/Mentor staff and students in planning for surgical events.* Demonstrate critical thinking skills and job knowledge that will raise performance as well as teach others observation/knowledge.* Be available to be assigned on-call hours outside of schedule work-hours, which includes after-hours, weekend and holidays. And if contacted while on-call, respond in the time frame as defined by the needs of the department per policy.* Able to adhere to assigned weekly, weekend, and holiday call shifts in accordance with hospital policies and protocols.
- Communicates and collaborates with others. * Serves as a resource of knowledge and shares knowledge as appropriate.* Counts are timely and actions reflect clear understanding of the dual responsibility with circulating RN.* Communicates needs nonverbal and verbally in a timely and appropriate manner: urgent vs. routine.* Precepts staff in appropriate manner. Mentors in positive manner.* Articulates priority of needs clearly. * Listens and observes for cues indicating changing needs.* Conversation in appropriate for setting.* Addressing issues/concerns appropriately.* Contributes to successful unity operations by integrating individual efforts with unit needs, goals and objectives.* Participates in required call.* Flexible with respect to assigned area (s).* Assist others as needed or requested.* Actions and behaviors foster team: shares knowledge and ideas.* Attempts to resolve conflicts constructively.* Performs a variety of activities to ensure an efficient effective unit.* Communicates/collaborates with others to ensure appropriate instruments, specialty cards and equipment are available for cases.* Participates in quality improvement efforts.* Actions and behaviors promote positive work environment.